The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Wed Feb 22 2017, 23:28

I have yet to find the perfect plastic model, but this model from Meng is the closest I've come so far. This is my first model from this company and won't be my last (as long as I can catch one at a reasonable price).

The Mansyu Ki-98

In late 1942/43, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) asked for proposals to build a ground attack aircraft. One plan was submitted by Kawasaki (the Ki-102), and the other by the Machurian Aircraft Company (Mansyu or Mansu) which was based in Mongolia, China (then a puppet State of Imperial Japan). This design would be designated the Ki-98.

As the war turned against Japan, the IJN changed its requirements for the Ki-98 from being a ground attack aircraft to becoming a high-altitude fighter. The aircraft consisted of a central nacelle housing the pilot, forward armament, and pusher propeller, with a twin-boom tail assembly. The new design specifications gave the aircraft an estimated speed of 455 MPH, and a service ceiling of 32,800 feet. Its formidable armament consisted of a 37mm cannon with two additional 20 mm cannon mounted in the nose.

Production of the sole example / prototype began in January 1945. However it was to late, when the Soviet Union declared war on Japan in August 1945, the Japanese Army destroyed the prototype and its documentation to prevent capture by the invading Soviet Army.

The Kit

It's obvious from the first sentence in my review that I really enjoyed building this kit from Meng. The building instructions were like a small book with super-clear illustrations / instructions and full-color paint call-outs. The sprues were in grey plastic that, to me at least, was of the perfect consistency. Moldings were crisp, precise, and almost totally devoid of flash. The best part of all is that there are NO resin or PE parts to deal with. None. Really Happy

The Build

I decided to do something a bit different for myself. I decided the build the kit wheels-up and build a stand for it. The kit does allow you to easily build it wheels-up or down so no drama there. The kit does not have a pilot figure so I had to supply one myself.

The build was straight-forward. The cockpit has a lot of detail for molded plastic (more so than many kits that include the resin /PE parts nonsense). Everything fit where and how it should. Wow, I haven't had a build like this in a long time.

You have decals and painting instructions for three different liveries (IJN, Machurian AF and Thailand AF). The decals were the only disappointment for me in that they seem a step-down in quality when compared to the rest of the kit. They are quite thin, but are still usable.

I had to trim the pilot figure's butt a bit to get him to fit inside correctly. The base I made from a wooden plaque with aluminum rod (cut and bent to shape). The base was painted and then given a satin-gloss coat of clear enamel.

Conclusion

This was a terrific kit from my perspective. A welcome change from what I usually seem to encounter. All went very well and I hope to build other Meng kits in the future.

I am also trying new techniques with my picture-taking. I have a ways to go but hope you like the changes.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Wed May 10 2017, 19:59

I remember seeing this on the old forum: just lovely. Great job on the alignment too.

PostSubject: Re: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Wed May 10 2017, 20:45

Cool, odd looking plane. It looks much more modern than a 1940's design. Nice build and paintwork. I like the mounting too.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Thu May 11 2017, 00:14

Thank you both. This has become a particular favorite of mine. Smile It was the first model I built gear-up and mounted in the way you see here.

I guess it would be good to go back through the posts / threads and denote those which were copied over from the old forum. I tried to get as much as possible over here (for content) before the old host imploded. So you will find several old posts here I am sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Fri May 12 2017, 05:49

Cool looking plane and a great build from a rather obscure manufacturer. Nice that you didn't have to go through your somewhat usual tribulations you seem to encounter when you tackle these unusual kits. I particularly like your treatment of the green/silver color scheme.

I understand how we created so many threads as we tried to carry things over. If duplicates appear, I try to contact the poster to see if I can delete or merge them. For those subjects you have that did not make it over, don't hesitate to re-create them now. It's always good to revisit these builds and die-cast models with fresh eyes. Besides, new members may not have seen them on the old forum.

Thank you for sharing this one gain Propwash.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98   Mon May 29 2017, 16:19

A real beauty and unusual subject. I like the mounting.

Meng 1/72: Mansyu Ki-98
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Miscellaneous Kit Manufacturers-
Jump to: