The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RS Models 1/72: Heinkel 112B

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: RS Models 1/72: Heinkel 112B   Thu Feb 23 2017, 00:26

This is my second build of an RS Models kit and, I am happy to say, I still like the line. RS Models is a Czech manufacturer, but what makes it different (from what I've experienced thus far) is the overall quality of their product line. Sure, I've only built two kits, but unlike some of my other builds the problems I faced were minor and were easily overcome.

I also think that if a Ju-87 and Supermarine Spitfire had a love child it would look like the He-112B. Wink

The Heinkel 112B

The He 112B went through several variants even though the series had a small manufacturing run (just over 100 built). It started with the open cockpit He 112-V1 in 1936, before production ceased in late 1938. It was hoped it would be a competitor against the Me 109 for Luftwaffe contracts but the design just wasn't good enough. However, Several other nations saw promise with the design and placed orders for the aircraft. Japan, Hungary, Romania and Spain all placed orders for the 112B. However, most only received a few aircraft as Germany confiscated what was then available (in production) for its own military needs. By the time production resumed the orders had been cancelled and remaining aircraft were used by the Luftwaffe in secondary roles.

Specifications:

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 9.22 m (30 ft 11 7/8 in)
Wingspan: 9.09 m (29 ft 9¾ in)
Height: 3.82 m (12 ft 6¾ in)
Wing area: 17 m² (183 ft²)
Empty weight: 1,617 kg (3,565 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 2,248 kg (4,957 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Junkers Jumo 210Ga liquid-cooled inverted V12 engine, (700 hp)

Performance

Maximum speed: 510 km/h (317 mph)
Range: 1150 km (715 mi)
Service ceiling: 9,500 m (31,200 ft)
Wing loading: 132 kg/m² (27.1 lb/ft²)

Armament

2 × 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine guns with 500 rpg, mounted in the sides of the engine cowling
2 × 20 mm MG FF cannons with 60 rpg, in the wings

The Kit

This kit, #92062, includes decals for four different aircraft (the decals appear to be of excellent quality):

1. Hungarian Air Force, 1941, in their war to annex part of Yugoslavia.

2. British Royal Air Force (RAF), 1942, captured aircraft used in tests.

3. Czechoslovakia Air Force, 1939

4. Imperial Japanese Navy, 1938

The plastic is a light tan color and is almost entirely free of flash. The moldings are crisp and the panel lines are light. There is little detail in the cockpit (and also little room to add anything extra). One very clear injection-molded canopy is included. The instructions are only okay. Two different engine cowlings are available (they have different exhaust ports) but it isn't really demonstrated why you would do so as the instructions are only okay.

The Build

Overall this was a fun and easy build. There are only a few times where I had to really think about how I wanted to proceed as the instructions were not clear. A few parts where left out entirely as being unnecessary (example - an engine mount inside the cowling even though there isn't an engine or way to see it if there was unbelievable ). You will also need a pin-drill and bits handy as there is no hole through the canopy for the antenna or hole for the wing pitot tube (no tube either so you will need to build that yourself). I also drilled out the gun ports in the engine cowling and for the air intakes.

My build is of the Hungarian Air Force version as I rather liked the camo they used (almost like they used oversized jigsaw puzzle pieces as templates). The decals are some of the best I have ever used and wished all my kits came with such as these. I added a pilot and completed the model. It does stand out on the shelf. Very Happy

I would have no problem recommending this kit to anyone wanting to add a 112B to their collection.

Back to top Go down

RS Models 1/72: Heinkel 112B
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1