The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:30

[ PLEASE NOTE ;

THIS THREAD = CARRIED OVER FROM "THE MODEL WARBIRD COLLECTOR FORUM

It was initially posted on April 29th 2012 ]

Ok guys  ~ I figured it's worth opening-up what could or might be a long running thread ?

Within this thread I'd like to keep on topic & discuss about Revell plastic kits in general

(PLEASE NOTE BELOW)

So, if you have any "built stuff" (kits) you wanna show, we already have an area for that.

This thread will be for General discussion only

By that, I mean anyone wanting to acquire or discuss a released Revell kit or chat & discuss Revell nostalgia...
(kits, markings, box-art, re-boxed or deleted kits, etc)..... that kinda thing....

To "kick off" the thread, I'm gonna post my Revell 1975/76 kit catalogue front cover.

It survived thru the rigours of time to the current day (2012) along with several of my other Commando comics (from 1973/74) & my much treasured Airfix Catalogues
(OF WHICH I PROPOSE TO OPEN A SIMILAR THREAD SHORTLY, so keep the decks clear, it's coming; LOL)

Does anyone here have recollection of "this" actual cover (from 1976),
or, do you YOURSELVES have an 'old' classic Revell catalogue you might wanna scan & share....?

(please, if you do, can you ensure it's YOUR image & NOT one just 'blagged' from the internet at random ~ copyright !)

Like me, were you inspired by, or wanted any of the 'classic' Jack Leynnwood box artwork that made those kits sell like hot-cakes, in the same way that Roy Cross 'sold' Airfix ?

An example I'm posting features the 'classic' artwork of Brian Knight, famous for 'Ladybird' illustrations
(in this instance, he "done" the immortal 'Flak Bait' box-artwork, over Normandy)

"Selling the image" was all important back then & these guys (mentioned above) were responsible for launching a (multi) thousand or more youngsters imaginations as their 'toy kits' shadowed the Bismark (yup, the Revell RAF Catalina artwork did it for me), or flew low over Romanian Oilfields (Revell B.24), or defended London (Revell Hurricane), or intercepted life-threatening V.1's hell-bent on destroying the civilian population (Revell Tempest).

I'm sure you guys had your own favourites  ?

(mine were also 'Flak Bait', the Essex USAAF B.26 over Normandy ~ plus the Macchi Saetta & Polikarpov I-16)

Revell - B-26 Marauder kit - 'Flak Bait'_Southend Museum 1973 by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

If you still have a classic (or even modern-day mold/release) of a "Pre-1970" subject matter
(say, a Curtiss Helldiver or an Fw.200 Condor) that you wanna discuss, or ask about, please do fire-away

Meantime, to kick the thread off, here's my ol' 1975/76 Revell kit catalogue that cost 20p

Hornchurch's actual 1976 Revell construction-kit catalogue (20p) ! by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:19; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:32

' [ INITIAL REPLY BY ALLAN/ADMIN on April 29th 2012 ]

Oh No!  A real "conversation" thread!   Shocked  ;-)

1st off Kev, I just bought and I mean just bought that very same B-26 "Flak Bait" kit.  The model arrived yesterday in the mail.  Actually the box art is just a little bit different than yours:

I absolutely love this old style box art on these old Revell kits.  From a technical standpoint, the style of art and the colors they used was very much different than that used on modern kits.  At some point in time (I'm thinking early to mid 70s), box art disappeared and was replaced with pictures of the actual built model.

For me, this change to real actual photos took away some of the charm that box art had.  I remember spending hours stretched out on my bed and just perusing through my Revell and Airfix catalogues over and over again.  Those poor pages were dogeared, wrinkled, and loved.  Today there seems to be a return to actual box art.  I for one welcome it.  How I loved looking at those pictures of kits and dreaming of buying them all.  All those single engine WWI and WWII fighters and those beloved "Dueling fighters" boxes - each one a treasure.

Back to the topic:  my favorite Revell box art.  Posted these on the completed builds, but they do fit in my "favorites" category:

The B-24 over the Ploesti oil fields (ever notice that on these box art paintings the olive drab looks brown?)

The USAAF A-20 Havoc in desert camouflage

I'm sure there are other great pictures on old Revell kits, but these are the ones I remember vividly from my childhood and have the most sentimental meaning for me.

'

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:36

[ 2nd reply ; from Mike.D  -  April 2012 ]

MikeD wrote:
Great thread guys! I remember some of these kits from the past. I know I posted this link on another form (maybe the lifeboat), but here it is for some of the new members that might not have this....
http://www.oldmodelkits.com/
...brings back alot of childhood days of my model bulding.

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=13115&cat=Military Aircraft&manu=Revell&scale=1/32&searchtext=corsair

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=4516&cat=Military Aircraft&manu=Revell&scale=1/32&searchtext=zero
Sorry, haven't learned to post pics yet here.

'

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:15; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:41

ALLAN's RESPONSE....

MikeD wrote:
Sorry, haven't learned to post pics yet here.

Mike,

Read this thread!

http://tmwcf.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=10

I really do remember that Corsair kit!  I always loved that picture.   I never got it because I only built 72nd scale kits back then.  Some things just never change.

A kit I did have was the Black Cat PBY. Happily, I just bought one on ebay this morning for about $20.00.  

Don't think it will be built - got another Revell PBY kit I'll build in these markings.  This one is comfort food for when I've had a hard day.   bounce

'
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:43

[ MIKE.D's 2012 reply ]

Thanks for the info FlightLDR429. I'll give it a try.

I have this one I bought back in the 1990s, still in the box. Hopefully one day I will build it.

'
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:49

[ FLT;LDR;429's reply from 2012 ]

FlightLDR429 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Thanks for the info FlightLDR429. I'll give it a try.

I have this one I bought back in the 1990s, still in the box. Hopefully one day I will build it.

Nice model Mike - Just not a Revell offering.  

'

'
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 11:53

[ Mike.D , April 2012 ]

FlightLDR429 wrote:
MikeD wrote:

Nice model Mike - Just not a Revell offering.  

>>>>>   You're right, sorry about that.  Forgot this was a Revell thread.

Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 12:07

[ MY REPLY TO ALLAN & ALL, posted April 2012 ] '

MikeD wrote:
FlightLDR429 wrote:
MikeD wrote:

'

I have this one I bought back in the 1990s, still in the box.

Nice model (and picture)!   Just not a Revell offering.

'

You're right, sorry about that. Forgot this was a Revell thread.

'

Mike, it's 100% ok & perfectly correct to post it within this thread

Worth pointing-out = Revell & Monogram are one & the same
'

The 'Revell-Monogram' PBY Catalina in 1/48th was released in 1994

I remember it VERY well, coz I bought seven of them ~ (over 5 years; different variants & markings)

BTW, Yeah, I'm not daft ~ I know that Revell & Monogram started life as different firms.

~  BUT  ~

For the edification of those unaware....

(Quote - Wiki...)  " As the 1960s progressed, Monogram and Revell squared off as rivals in the scale model market

HOWEVER..

" In 1986, Monogram was bought by Odyssey Partners of New York.
Later that same summer, Odyssey purchased Revell Models of Venice, California.
Subsequently Odyssey Partners merged Revell with Monogram and moved all its usable assets to Monogram's Des Plaines, Illinois Plant Number 2.[citation needed]
After Revell was merged with Monogram, company headquarters was moved a short distance to Northbrook, Illinois ".

Swanny's models excellent site also has this to say....

(Quote...)  "  The Revell Company in Venice California and Monogram Models in Morton Grove Illinois had both been working towards production molds for the B-17 in 1/48, Revell working on the F model kit #4701 with markings for ‘Memphis Belle’ and Monogram working on the G model kit #5600 with markings for “Chow Hound” and “El Lobo II”. Coincidentally the two kits hit the market at virtually the same time (Monogram slightly before Revell) and a surprising similarity in some interior parts was seen. Officials at Monogram cast a suspicious eye on Revell and the comment “Don’t let it happen again” was heard. Any competitive animosity was soon laid to rest when Monogram purchased all of Revell’s tooling and shipped it to the Illinois plant. Over the next three or four years they continued to be marketed as separate companies then the catalogs were merged creating the now familiar Revell-Monogram logo. "

So you see, Mike's 1/48th Catalina really would be 'orphaned' if it were sent elsewhere !

Mike = you have GREAT taste mate, coz their 1/48th PBY is a Golden-Peach of a kit !
I have every type they released, bar two.... & your Black-Cat' is one of them.

One of my seven (which came from Hannants-shop, 2nd-hand), was LOADED with extra brass-etched, spray-masks, resin-wheels, decals, you name it ~ a bargain.

Incidentally, the (1/48th) Curtiss Helldiver I was referring to in my thread-opener is ALSO a direct product of this wonderful merger, as is Mike's PBY.

MONOGRAM  &  REVELL...  keep bringing both of them on chaps  (in this thread)

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 12:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 12:10

[ ALLAN's April 2012 post on the Revell Memphis Belle B.17,
  ....carried-over from our old/previous forum ]

FlightLDR429 wrote:
Absolutely the LAST thing I need is another B-17 but....................

Just won a Revell model this morning on ebay that I have been looking for for years.

I built this exact kit years ago when I was 13. Back then it was my only B-17. Not sure the colors are correct as Mr. Hornchurch once told me "Lady Luck" was the plane that replaced the famous "Memphis Belle" and LL should not have the red markings.

How (if) I build this one remains to be seen. The model project list keeps growing and growing.

Still I'm glad whenever I find a model from my childhood.

'

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 12:15

[ REPLY TO ONE ABOVE LAST ; From MIKE.D transferred over from "Model Warbird" c.April 2012 ] '

MikeD wrote:
Thanks Kev!! In my younger days all I built were Revell and Monogram models (very inexpensive).
Basically fighters and single engine bombers of WWII in 1/48 scale.
Some 1/32nd scale fighters (Corsair, Zero, and P-51 Mustang) that I would hang from the ceiling.
The 1/48 I would make shelves for over my bed and desk.
My room was full of WWII planes.
I wish I could find the photo of my room that I took of that year, but I think it's lost.

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:07

[ this post originally by 'EnglishMint' in April 2012 ]

englishmint wrote:
First model was probably a Revell kit, quickly learned to choose Airfix as my manufacturer of choice,....i.e. no-one sold Revell in my area. So I grew up as an Airfix builder with whatever other bits n pieces I could find.
Over the years I have built a few but they were never my favourite. A year or 2 back I built the T-2 Buckeye by Revell Germany,.... a little gem.

Last edited by Hornchurch on Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:10

[ this post originally by PMM-MAKER in April 2012 ]

pmmaker wrote:
As I search for more and more 48th scale kits to build, I'm amazed at how many Revell / Monogram kits are out there for really affordable prices and easy to buy.

Suddenly I've gone from a single 48th scale kit of a P-38 Lightning to a dozen different kits all lined up waiting to be done.  From a P-39 to a B-25B/C to a P-61 Black Widow, the selection and availability is a lot of fun for me as a casual plastic kit builder.

If I was to try to get all these models in diecast, I'd easily be down a thousand dollars in no time. The merge of Revell and Monogram has been a big help in the building of my fledgling 48th scale model collection.

Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:23

[ Originally posted by 'Martel' in April 2012 ]

martel69 wrote:

Love the Revell kits  :grin:

Loved the box art of the smaller models and the fascinating subject matter of the late 60's/early 70's with the WW1, Italian, Polish and Japanese offerings greatly complementing the Airfix range.

Honourable mention for FROG too  :grin:
I've bought quite a few Revell kits in recent years, mainly ones I don't expect to see in 1/72 diecast  Smile

PS Kev, I may have that catalogue....well part of it anyway as the front and back cover are missing  :mrgreen:
.....the 1/32 models look FANTASTIC !!!

As for favourites.....Fiat CR.42, PZ11, Oscar, Hurricane, Fokker Eindekker, Mourane Salner (forgive the spelling !!) and the Spitfire (I think if you sent away enough 'Shredded Wheat' cereal box tops back in the day you got a free one  :mrgreen: )

'
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 16:29

[ Originally posted by Kyushu (Ken), in April 2012 ]

KYUSHU J7W wrote:
FlightLDR429 wrote:
Built this kit a long time ago.

This was a series by Revell that shared a theme.

They did these for their WWI and WWII offerings.  
The kits were basic, but when done right, they looked awesome.

I'm looking for a few more of these.

Anyone remeber these?

Never saw this series...great idea though.

Like many of you I've been adding to the kit stash since 1/48 diecast has dried up.  54 WWII and WW1 so far.  

I try to catch them on sale here in the usa and when I get over to Hong Kong I pick up some kits as they are cheaper by far vs the US prices.   This will be a monster when built so will hang over Kyushu field vs being set on the airfield table.    

This kit box art is a USAF Korean version ...you can see the Mig diving away but I will build a 20th AAF  WWII version.

'
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread   Thu Feb 23 2017, 17:46

This monster is still in my stash......calling to me,  but I'm afraid to answer.   I need the cats to expire as they will just bat at it if its hung up over Kyushu Field

Revell - The Mighty "Revell" kit discussion thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next