The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe   Thu Feb 23 2017, 19:10

I have a nice little collection of "captured" aircraft in die cast. Unfortunately most of the models are of the more mainstream subjects (P-51, Ju-87, etc) so I thought it would be nice to add something different. During, and after, the Battle of France the German Luftwaffe obtained many examples of French aircraft which had crash-landed or had been on captured airfields. The Luftwaffe put any airworthy examples to good use as demonstrator aircraft so their pilots could learn the weaknesses of the opposing aircraft.

I chose to do my build in one of the more generic unit schemes (it would fit in nicely with my GA captured P-51). The kit is from another Czech model company called RS Models and is in 1/72 scale. This is another of my "first experience" kits in that I have never done a build from an RS kit until now.

I have to say I have no major complaints about this model, the instructions, or decals. Refreshing to say the least. The plastic was attached nicely to the sprues with minimal flash. The canopy plastic was clear. The decals, while fragile, were acceptable and well printed. And the cockpit had nice, but simple, detailing that I have found lacking in some of the other kits I have done (I added seatbelts made from masking tape for the first time - not seen very well in the pic, but they came out good - imvho) The whole kit really came together in a weekend.

And there are no rigging or antenna wires to mess with! cheers

With nothing to complain about it makes for a short thread.  Wink  I know the model looks showroom fresh, but I like to think of it as coming straight back from the shop after a repaint. Laughing

Last edited by Propwash on Wed Jun 07 2017, 23:44; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe   Sun Jun 04 2017, 11:11

I totally missed this!

Really cool model. Interesting to see opposing planes in the captor's paint work. I have seen Zeros, Mig-15s and other planes in captured schemes.

The Germans made extensive use of captured hardware. Their use of captured British and Canadian Chevy trucks in North Africa is an interesting example.

Nice work PW!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe   Sun Jun 04 2017, 12:05

I missed this too, another lovely model PW. I have a small collection of captured aircraft too – it's cool to see a familiar aircraft in an incongruous scheme. I'm encouraged by your comments about RS Models too, as I have several in the stash.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe   Thu Jun 08 2017, 00:02

Thank you both! It is a model I think I should go back to at some point and add some detailing (now that I am a little more comfortable doing so) to break-up the new look a bit.

Tom: I have a Kindle e-book called "Foreign Planes in the Service of the Luftwaffe" that is a decent deal at $1.99. Not much meat in the captions or writing, but it makes up for it with some really interesting pics.

Mike: I have since found that RS brand models may have inconsistent quality. I've built three RS models and two were nice and easy builds while the third became a Hall Of Shame entrant on the old forum (that was the Flettner FI-282 Helicopter).
Back to top Go down

RS Models: 1/72 Dewoitine D.520 - Captured by the Luftwaffe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1