The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Fri Feb 24 2017, 21:40

I just picked up the Corgi Pearl Harbor Anniversary PBY5 and P-40. Nice models, the PBY is always a favorite of mine and the P-40 is well done, apparently a new mold.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sat Feb 25 2017, 01:17

Those are some real nice models Tom. I almost got the PBY as a "scratch and dent" on Ebay a few weeks ago but got sniped. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sat Feb 25 2017, 07:13

I hate snipers. Anyway, I bought the PBY from Flying Mule and the P-40 direct from Corgi. That is the first time I have bought a model directly from Corgi.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sat Feb 25 2017, 08:24

Well I really like both of these!

I don't have any Corgi PBY models, but I've got two Revell kits of the PBY that I've built so I know how large and impressive your Corgi model must be. I love the scheme and colors. Very good pick up from a great dealer.

he P-40 you got looks really good too. Those are the first actual pictures I've seen where the model looks like it really is. On other forums, this model has received some negative press (collectors don't really trash models do they?) and a rather long list of 'supposed" errors, inaccuracies, and quality gripes. From your image, the model looks better than my FoV P-40B so I guess it didn't turn out to badly.

As to Propwash's snipng comment, sniping is one of the aspects of eBay I find least attractive. There are people who wait until the last 30 seconds of a listing to pounce in and win an auction. I've seen guys do this to win an auction even though there was another BIN listing out there for less. That's when I thank the poor clown who paid more than necessary and freed me from the listing so I could go buy the same model or kit for less. Rolling Eyes I really try to avoid auctions now. If I do partake in an auction, I fight fire with fire and give the snipers a taste of their own medicine.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sat Feb 25 2017, 08:42

The PBY is actually a fairly compact, but Heavy model. The box is huge, though...lol. I have a sickness with Corgi PBYs like I do with Corgi Swordfish. I want every last version they produce.

The P-40 is really nice. I like most all versions of the P-40, but this one is my favorite. It would be cool/funny if they did a version of the P-40 John Belushi flew in the movie "1941". Why not? That was one of the first visual introductions to the P-40 in my life, along with the Fiberglass versions used in "Tora,Tora,Tora"...

Sniping. Hmm. I guess I am guilty of the 30 second bid. I usually win that way. There are computer programs that do the sniping for you. Not fair. I frequent a couple firearms auction sites and they have a "five minute" rule that extends the auction for another fifteen minutes if any bids are made in the last five minutes of the auction. This gives the seller a decent price and keeps the auction true.

Mostly, I just bid high and let the auction run its course. I tend to win about 75% of the auctions that way. The only problem is the shills some sellers use. I have encountered them before....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sun Feb 26 2017, 00:05

I have the C1 version of the P-40 in 1/48 and it is one of my favorite die cast models. I think the 1/72 version you got looks great Tom.

Ebay has gotten ridiculous and I rarely get die cast off it nowadays (unless it is a BIN). Model kits are still a reasonable option, but snipers are there as well. I recently lost a JASDF MU-2S in the very last second of the auction (so I assume it was with one of the sniping "services"). I was a little ticked to be sure, but what are you going to do? Shrugs

BTW Tom, is that dog in your avatar yours? Laughing
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sun Feb 26 2017, 08:16

Ha, yes. Meet Mr. Spanky. He is one of three dogs we have. He is a pug mix and is 14 years old. He is deaf, so he is pretty good with hand/sign language.

He hangs out in the kitchen when I work on models, ready to pounce on and parts I drop and promptly eat them. He watches intently....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Mon Feb 27 2017, 23:46

Mr. Spanky is awesome. Nice to have a model-building wingman around when your working on something. My Boston is usually farting and snoring away, in the chair in my office, while I'm building.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Tue Feb 28 2017, 09:10

Mr Spanky thanks you.

When I am building, my other two animals, Maxwell and Norman, are wrecking the house with their never ending wresting matches. They tumbled into the kitchen table as my Mavis was sitting there, damaging before it was even finished...lol.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Tue Feb 28 2017, 11:12

I didn't buy the PBY but I did get the new P-40B and I must say I was rather disappointed by the very high riding canopy on the model. I gather that this error was pointed out to Corgi on various forums but no corrective action was taken. Hopefully the next planned P-40B---a desert RAF model----which I like--- will have this changed.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:20

Hmm. My lack of knowledge on some of the more technical aspects of the prototypes vs the models cause issues like that to escape me. I have quite a few various P-40 models and kits, and each one seems a bit different in regards to fit and finish. I guess I am a bit laid back in this issue.

On the other hand, I can appreciate those who do find faults with more expensive models, teaching us less knowledgeable some great pointers. I am also puzzled as to why a company will pour money into developing a kit or model that isn't up to par, technically and continue on that path ending in the item being produced and made for sale.

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40   Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:38

Tom,

Many of the die-cast models we love and buy are not purchased by aviation/plane experts and hard core collectors. Most are bought by guys like you and me; casual, once-in-a-while, laid back collectors who are happy as long as the model is relatively close and looks like the plane in question.

That there is a segment of the hobby that is VERY knowledgeable about aircraft is a fact. That these types of mistakes drive them ABSOLUTELY crazy is also a fact - just read the posts on most of the main-stream forums. The problem is that once a model is produced incorrectly, the cost to fix it for that group who REALLY do care has to be borne by a larger group that DON'T care. Hence the problem many manufacturers and customers have to deal with.

Personally, the canopy on this P-40 does not really bother me. But if Corgi fixes it and then jacks up the price an additional $10 - $15 because of it, I'd be less likely to buy the model. And the less guys like me buy, the less $$$ companies make.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

Pearl Harbor PBY 5 and P-40
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1