The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix 1/72 Henschel HS123A-1 - Spanish Air Force (Fascist)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Airfix 1/72 Henschel HS123A-1 - Spanish Air Force (Fascist)   Sat Feb 25 2017, 01:36

Having completed my Spanish Republican Air Force bomber in our last group build, I thought it time to add something for the other side.

Henschel HS123A-1

Designed for the German Luftwaffe in the mid-1930s, the Henschel HS123A-1 was developed as a dive bomber and close -air support aircraft. It was an open cockpit biplane carrying only the pilot. It was equipped with two fixed forward firing 7.92mm machine guns (firing through the cowling) and could carry almost 1000 pounds of bombs on the external wing racks.

It would experience its first combat operations in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Development would proceed on a couple of variants and it would see little action with the Luftwaffe in World War Two. Ultimately it was succeeded by the Junkers Ju-87.

The Kit

This is a basic kit from Airfix with no real surprises. Everything fit well together and you get decals for two variants (Spanish or Luftwaffe).

The cockpit has no interior and really doesn't need any unless you decide to remove the pilot. Then you will have to build everything from scratch. The instructions are only really deficient in the area of adding the rigging wires, the engine bracing (triangular wires I added to the engine), tail-wheel shock, and antenna wiring. You will need to do research online if you want to add those items.

I really think the most tedious part was painting the camo. Argh! unbelievable

This was a fun kit to lose yourself in. I admit my build could stand some weathering, but I just don't have it in me of late. Maybe at a later time.

Back to top Go down

Airfix 1/72 Henschel HS123A-1 - Spanish Air Force (Fascist)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1