The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Sat Feb 25 2017, 01:44

Airfix kits can be good things in that they are relatively inexpensive, are good for a quick "rainy-day" build, and the end-result will usually be a decent rendition of the real thing. Unfortunately this kit fails in all but for being inexpensive. Of course I didn't know how bad this kit is until I went online to look at other builds and found that its faults are well know in the modeling community.

And what faults are they you may ask? The wings are entirely from a different aircraft for one thing. The IL-2m has wings that are larger and are swept back (these are closer to an IL-10 perhaps, but even then they are to straight). The tail is incorrect as well. Then you have the canopy that is also incorrect and is missing a section. What makes this really wired is that the painting instructions show the correct plane (and not the model you just built)!

Okay, so I have a lemon. Rolling Eyes Nothing to do but go ahead with the build. Almost all of the parts required more cleaning and prep that I've found with other Airfix kits I've done. After cleaning away the flash it was a fairly easy build marred by a couple of assemblies that were overly engineered for no other reason, that I can see, than to give you more parts to futz with (the landing gear and bombs for example). I decided to leave the bombs off my plane as, honestly, I didn't want to deal with the buggers at this point. You have tiny round bombs you have to glue to square rails - round onto flat multiplied by eight (let alone painting each one). Wasn't worth it.

So I made my plane look like it came back from a mission. The camo is a point of debate among the modeling community at large so I have no idea if it is a true VVS scheme or not. But I think it looks cool so, with my Frankenplane, why not? So with that in mind, you might actually see an IL-2M if you squint really hard.

And I did fix the one decal on the bottom of the plane. For some reason, even after a couple applications of Dull-Coat, it pulled away from the model. I didn't see that until I downloaded the pics from my camera. So here's the quick and dirty shots:

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Thu Mar 09 2017, 08:53

No, definitely not one of Airfix's finest moments Very Happy But hey, good for you for finishing it anyway, and making a nice job of it. Good stuff

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Fri Mar 10 2017, 00:38

Thanks Mike. Smile
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Fri Mar 10 2017, 02:20

I remember building this kit as a kid and thought it was great. Ignorance is such bliss. The same is true of many of the kits from that period which is around fifty years ago but it is surprising that so many are still around. No internet forums back then to critique models of course.Smile

Nice build from a very poor kit.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Fri Mar 10 2017, 12:03

DCRanger wrote:
I remember building this kit as a kid and thought it was great. Ignorance is such bliss. The same is true of many of the kits from that period which is around fifty years ago but it is surprising that so many are still around. No internet forums back then to critique models of course.Smile

Nice build from a very poor kit.

So true DCR, so true.

Thanks for for comments. Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeD

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Sat Mar 11 2017, 12:10

Very nice build propwash! Couldn't have done it better!
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)   Sat Mar 11 2017, 21:01

The coloring between the camo and the unit markings is very striking. Very nice work!

Tom

Airfix 1:72 IL-2m Sturmovik (kit A02013)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Airfix / Heller-