The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's   Sat Feb 25 2017, 09:26

Hornchurch wrote:

Well folks, due to a clear & obvious interest that was thrown-up over on D.C.R's collection photo' thread, regarding James Stewart & the Consolidated B.24 Liberators (mixed in with some natural &  hopefully welcomed thread-drift ?), I took the decision to open-up a "new" thread (this one here) to continue the discussion & hopefully involve the replies that had & have consequently arisen  ~   WHICH, if left to run in D.C.R's thread either will or might possibly (or awkwardly) overlap HIS latest Corgi Hawker Audax & C.47-DC.3 Dakota series of pictures, thereby making replies & discussion rather fragmented ? =  i.e, THREE subjects going at once....
1,) Corgi Douglas C.47
2,) Corgi Hawker Audax   &
3,) James Stewart & his B.24 involvement which stemmed & filtered down from D.C.R's Strawberry-Bitch pix.
 Hence I figured this thread , to save fragmentation & as a possible continuation ?

As I can't transfer the individual posts (thus far), here's basically how it ran, regarding the James Stewart USAAF "thread drift" :mrgreen: so, I've hiked the quote over here for continuity....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SpectreNav wrote:

I am now reading a book about Col Jimmy Stewart (yes, the actor) who was a WW II B-24 pilot and Group Commander who flew a good deal of dangerous combat missions.  His chain of command did not want him to go, but he insisted....

I was just up at "Jimmy Stewart Airport" last weekend and they have a giant B-24 (RC scale) done up in his honor with a lot of old flying gear from that era.  They still love him up in Indiana, PA!
 Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~
Bluefin wrote:

What's the name of Jimmy Stewart's plane, did he have any nose art on it?

Most of the famous stars have been modest about their WWII service. Surprising to know there were quite a few.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
martel69 wrote:

Think his first plane was named 'Nine Yanks and a Jerk' so guess it may have had some art? I'll look at my Lib books to see if there are any other references to this and/or other planes
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hornchurch, in reply to the lads & in particular, Bluefin....

Typing purely 100% from memory (dangerous thing here !), but I "am" a Consolidated  B.24  & 2nd-Air-Division "fan"  = as ALL the nearest 8th-Air-Force bases nearest to where I'm typing this ARE (or "were") =  2nd A.Div' bases (i.e, 392nd/491st/492nd/44th B.G. etc)
~  &  I've got more than a slight passing interest in that subject overall (8th A.F. B.24's), so here goes....

I know for sure that James Stewart flew within the 445th Bomb Group out of Tibenham in Suffolk.
Their B.24's are those with the 'F' in a circle  = (2nd Air-Div') marking, denoting the 445th B.G.

Interesting, as one of our members (Bart/C.17) is part of their latterday ancestral-descent unit (as he proudly told me) & it was one of the guys he served under (in Bart's younger years) that was friendly with James Stewart.

Bart & I visited Tibenham (again) back in 2010 & spent the day there (fantastic) taking pix in the Church (where numerous prayer-cushions ACTUALLY bear the names, code-letters & serial numbers ~ plus nose-art) of SOME of the actual 445th Bomb Group B.24's
(quite amazing, trust me !)

Now obviously, this next bit I had to upload, to get (& crop) the actual a/c profile itself...

The a/c Martel refers to is....  B.24.H  = serial No. 41-29118  coded 'I'

The decal sheet with this a/c is avilable in 1/72nd scale from Iliad decals....

41-29118 ('Nine Yanks...etc') looked like this , according to the Iliad 1/72nd sheet....

Trawling thru, looking for the Iliad sheet, I stumbled over this quote whilst rustling up the decal sheet pix.....

" From there (Scotland) they proceeded to Tibenham Airbase (south of Norwich, and one of hundreds of airbases throughout England during WW II), where 'Rackets' was stationed for 19 months with the 8th Air Force.

"Assigned as Armorer on Nine Yanks and a Jerk, the plane Capt. Jimmy Stewart piloted, 'Rackets' has many stories to tell of those memorable times. As lead pilot, Capt. Jimmy Stewart flew many missions, and was admired and respected by all the men he commanded. One mission in particular, however, really stood out. Forty B-24s were readied and took off headed for France, to ultimately bomb a railroad, thereby thwarting its use by the Germans. Of the 40 planes sent out, heavy casualties ensued, and only 13 returned. One of the last planes coming back in was Nine Yanks and a Jerk. No one initially got out, and there was a huge hole in the plane behind the pilot's seat. The radio operator was killed during the mission, and another crew member injured.

" 'Rackets' ran up to the plane and said to Capt. Stewart: 'Are you all right, sir?'

"Jimmy Stewart said: 'Corporal, we got the s*** kicked out of us today!' "

This post is PLENTY long enough, SO, if you'll bear with me, I'm FAR more familiar & conversant with his NEXT known 'possible' plane, which is from his time during his NEXT East Anglian 2nd Air-Division posting  ~  with the 453rd Bomb Group, at Old Buckenham (where if my memory serves correct, WITHOUT checking, he was one of the unit's Intelligence Officers.... The next a/c, which he was pictured in front of, is a real beaut' !)

'
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's   Sat Feb 25 2017, 09:29

Hornchurch wrote:

His NEXT posting was with the 453rd Bomb Group at Old Buckenham, in Norfolk

I was already well aware of this a/c before Iliad decals released this one (a real beauty) & it's a bit more snazzy looking than the last !

He's photographed in front of it & it's claimed that he flew this one too....

Consolidated B-24 'H' Liberator  =  ' 42-52154 '    Coded  E8-G+  

453rd B.G. = nicknamed `Male Call'  

....... flown by James Stewart; (according to the sheet)

Here's what it looked like....   (first off, casual shot, with crew....)

I'm assuming you guys will, or might be interested in reading this li'l snippet ?
(below)
 Yeah, it "is" later in time, but involves this very same a/c

" Record #: "51"
"My Father James A. Bennett was a nose gunner on the "Male Call" in the 453rd B.G. 734th Bomb Sqdn. I'm very proud of him and his fellow airmen for what they accomplished for us while sacrificing so many. My father kept a limited log book, journal of his first 19 missions in early 1945, I would be proud to share them with those interested. One of his entries as he wrote it below. I would be interested in knowing more about the 734th also. especially greater detail of the missions flown from Feb 1945 to the end of the war.

Raid #16 April 7, 1945 Target Germany 10 miles east of Hamburg, Powder Dump Bomb load 12  x 500 GP Gas Load 2500 Gal Flax:
A little before we hit I.P. very inaccurate. We were hit by fighters for the first time. ME 262's FW 190's ME 109's One ME 109 passed within 40 ft of our ship after damaging our left wing man. Another ship was damaged in our group. no one injured. One me 262 was shot down by our sq-rd.
I fired 200 rounds at a FW 190 out of range, 22 bombers lost and three fighters by 8th AF 87 E.M. shot down.
Results: Target destroyed, concussions from explosions 18,000 ft below tossed us around like a cork on the sea. Total flight time 6 hr 38 minutes My reactions: SCARED! (end of entry)"
Submitted by: "Rex Bennett"

'
Back to top Go down
PBRStreetgang

PostSubject: Re: Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's   Mon Mar 20 2017, 03:06

OK, interesting. I had always assumed that Jimmy Stewart flew most of his missions with "Male Call". I also did not know that he flew with the 453rd BG and the 445th BG,...I assume 445th was first where he flew on "NINE Yanks and a Jerk" and the 453rd, "Male Call".

But it looks like he completed 12-13 missions on Nine yanks and a Jerk".

From a Diecast perspective,...either of these aircraft would, in most cases, seem to be quite obvious as a successful release and I am guessing neither have copyright issues like the appalling Yeager racket. But Corgi really have not done the 2nd Division any favours with many of their releases or the 8th Air Force in general.

Incidentally neither 453rd or 445th have been represented in Diecast by the Pooch.
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's   Thu Mar 23 2017, 01:32

PBRStreetgang wrote:

OK, interesting. I had always assumed that Jimmy Stewart flew most of his missions with "Male Call". I also did not know that he flew with the 453rd BG and the 445th BG,...I assume 445th was first where he flew on "NINE Yanks and a Jerk" and the 453rd, "Male Call".

But it looks like he completed 12-13 missions on Nine yanks and a Jerk".

From a Diecast perspective,...either of these aircraft would, in most cases, seem to be quite obvious as a successful release and I am guessing neither have copyright issues like the appalling Yeager racket. But Corgi really have not done the 2nd Division any favours with many of their releases or the 8th Air Force in general.

Incidentally neither 453rd or 445th have been represented in Diecast by the Pooch.
'

Thanks for your input Christian.

I took the liberty of transitioning this thread over/across, as it appears a popular subject.

I wouldn't put TOO much into these individual a/c attributed to him.
(By that, I mean "they are known", but you'd have to study further).

One thing about the (great), man himself is, he was VERY modest.
Whilst VERY proud of his war-service, it's difficult to find out much.

The 2nd Air-Div' do have some representatives, but as you've mentioned before...
Corgi did themselves no favours whatsoever in "scheme choices" !
(never mind indivdual different Bomb Groups)

There are SO many great & famous Liberators that've been missed (out).
(to be fair, most folks are fairly clueless, even on the better-known jobs).

Many moons back, I was gonna open-up a thread on another 445th B.24.

Her name is "Sweet Rose Of Texas" - (I do have her serial, but not to hand, now)

Facinatingly, a Church "kneel-pad" was knitted in HER honour (!!!!!)
It survives inside Tibenham Church.

I visited there with Bart (C.17-Driver), in 2011, so, took various pix.

When I got home, I matched her serial & nose-art & "Voila", just like the '24 herself.

As for J.S. - there are several 'Control-Tower' pix, taken at BOTH bases.

Here's the famous one of him at Old Buckenham....
(when he was a 453rd Intelligence officer)

I'll also add one of mine, taken just below where he was sitting !

Back to top Go down

Re: Carried from 2013 ~ Forum interest in James Stewart B.24's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1