The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Sun Feb 26 2017, 00:10

Some badly needed rain has fallen in Northern California which has afforded me a chance (excuse really) to work on another model. Mr. Green My last kit review (of the Arfix Il-2M) was harsh but I feel fair due to the issues found in that kit. I'm very glad to report that this Airfix kit was nothing like that and was a joy to build.

This is another of the basic, older molds, by Airfix and is of the Japanese Mitsubishi Ki-46 II reconnaissance plane in 1:72 scale. The plane can be built either gear-up or down and a choice of two different markings (IJAAF or Jap. Home Air Defence). Those are your only choices for building the model as it comes.

I decided to do the Home Air Defence version because I liked the way the roundels looked with the white backing. It's a nice minimalist look in my collection that is still eye catching.

Building was easy and straight-forward with parts need only minimal cleaning and filing. The two crew members were really double-amputee blobs that were only vaguely human in shape. Luckily they aren't that visible once inside the fuselage. Speaking of which, interior details are spartan at best - as in nothing. The cockpit has a control yoke while the back- seater has a shelf. Nothing else. The decal sheet does have a nice control panel, but it sits so far in the nose of the model it is invisible. There is nothing in the back so I created charts and papers for the guy sitting there to have something to do. That did help fill the void so to speak.

Painting was fairly easy to do and it looked pretty good before the addition of decals. I almost left it looking factory new but decided to weather it a bit to make it look like it is earning a living. The decals are of very good quality and went on easily. After a couple of coats of Dullcoat and the addition of the canopies it was all set to join my squadron on the shelf. Wink

Overall I am quite happy with the model. I was also taken with how cool the actual plane must have looked with its (for the time) sleek lines.

Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Sun Feb 26 2017, 07:37

I really like this kit. I built it many, many long years ago and I just haven't gotten around to getting another one yet. I have to rectify that oversight thanks to Propwash's excellent build

Propwash, I congratulate you on a magnificent build! The gray coloring with just the right amount of wear away silver is perfect. The markings are just enhanced by the Japanese gray. I agree with you in that I too love the white Japanese home islands defense bands underneath the rising sun markings. Adding detail to the interior is definitely a must as I remember the interior as being practically non-existent.

A really nice build of a seldom known about plane that just looked so sleek and efficient.

BTW - love the comparison shot with your Zero.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:39

Thank you for all your kind words on this build, PMM. Very Happy I would also like to do the later version with the sleek "glass" nose (the kind Mike did for our last group build).
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:42

I'm another one who built this kit a long time ago - very soon after it was released some time in the sixties.

Agreat build and I love the scheme.
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:43

Nice looking build and I like the weathering / chipped paint effects. I built a solid nose Dinah as well a long time ago. It is a beautiful aircraft. I'm enjoying all these reposts.

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"   Wed Mar 08 2017, 09:04

That's another beautiful model, PW. Japanese aircraft look so good with the white bands and the red hinomaru.

Airfix 1/72: Mitsubishi Ki-46 II "Dinah"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1