The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Sun Feb 26 2017, 00:22

FlightLDR429 was the first to post a build of this venerable model and Spectrenav/Mike was second. Here's my build of the Ryan PT-20 kit produced by Testors. It is a very simple model which, at times can be a good thing. Not so much at other times when it comes to leaving out certain parts or information which would have made a world of difference in the completed build. Parts such as control panels or seats for the pilot(s) are not present in this model (as they believe you will want to build it with the pilot figures in place thus blocking such niceties from view). Instructions for rigging the model are also absent so you are left to research this information on your own.

I opted not to include the pilot figures which left a cavernous space inside the fuselage to fill. I used card stock to build a couple of control panels and bench seats - neither of which are worth showing I'm afraid.  The model otherwise went together nicely with minimal cleaning required. After painting the model I applied the decals which were well made and easy to work with - except for the rudder decals. I had problems with the two rudder decals and ended-up tearing them both. So I had to hand paint the rudder in the colors shown.

Next came the rigging. Frustrated, I hated this part as it was a test of patience which I don't always have. I first tried using jewelers wire which didn't work out as I couldn't get any tension on the wire (all this is mentioned in the "Stuck in the rigging" help thread I created). I ended up using the methods PMM and Rumpler mentioned of using piano wire and cut/fit each piece as needed. What fun.

Despite the problems I still think this is a good little kit of a sharp looking plane. If you have a burgeoning 1:48 yellow-wings collection going it is a must have.

Last edited by Propwash on Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Sun Feb 26 2017, 07:51

I'll add my original TMWCF post to yours Propwash - no sense doubling threads.

Your comments are spot on! This was a very nice, simple plane to build. I wish there was a way to get the same plane with the rotary engine though. Still, with a bit of time and effort, it becomes something really eye-catching in the cabinet or shelf. I wasn't as brave or ambitious as yourself - I used the pilots. In my defense, I did build two - making the float plane version.

Here is my original post from TMWCF:

Wish some of these models I'm building would be done in diecast. Unfortunately, here's one I think we will never see in zinc: the Ryan PT-20 dual seat trainer.

From a very basic and dated mold, this model just looks great. The original kit is a vintage 60's Hawk / Testors mold. Simplicity is the word here. The kit only has 30 basic parts including a one piece wing. The kit goes together fairly straight-forward; mine was completely prepainted and assembled in about 8 hours over two days. There's no cockpit detail at all, but if you put in the crew figures, you can't see into the cockpit anyways. It's just a basic, simple kit that's a lot of fun to put together.

For added details, I used my thin florist wire to add the bracing wires and wood grained the propeller. I also used my Tamiya pastels and exhaust stained the starboard engine cowling around the exhausts.

Then I got a second kit and wanted to build something a bit different. Built the seaplane version in U.S.N. markings.

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Sun Feb 26 2017, 11:56

Both great looking builds and nicely rigged. I have one in my stash and it makes me want to get it out .

Well done both of you.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:34

I agree PMM! I would love to get the radial engined version (or a conversion kit if they are made). I will probably get another kit, if I can nail one at a good price, and do the floatplane version as you did. Although I would be tempted to do it in Dutch livery or even as a captured Japanese aircraft.

Thanks for including your comments and pics from the old forum. Smile

Kyushu: Thank you for your comments. It is a fun weekend build.
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Mon Mar 06 2017, 09:26

Two very nicely rendered variations of the same kit. As Kyushu posted, makes me want to build one. There's a fantastic Fisher Models 1/32 resin kit of this and the radial engine version, but way out of my modelling budget Very Happy Check the photo of the resin engine cylinders.

Fisher Models 1/32 PT-22

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Mon Mar 06 2017, 17:54

I agree with the previous posts. Very nice builds!
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Mon Mar 06 2017, 18:12

I've never come across Testors kits, presumably it is the same company that makes paints etc?

PMM, I like the base for the float plane version. Did that come with the model?
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Mon Mar 06 2017, 18:17

DCRanger wrote:
I've never come across Testors kits, presumably it is the same company that makes paints etc?

Yes, I believe it did.  Like a dummy, I got rid of the other one.  frustrated

I hand painted this one and I threw the other one away! Very Happy

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Mon Mar 06 2017, 23:04

OMG, that Fisher 1/32 PT-22 is beautiful! Migrant, that is right up your alley. Very Happy

DCR: The float-plane base did come with the model. I kept mine in case I should have another model that could use it (I have an Oxford Ar-290 float-plane, I should try that one out to see if it fits. scratch
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20   Tue Mar 07 2017, 04:12

pmmaker wrote:
DCRanger wrote:

Yes, I believe it did.  Like a dummy, I got rid of the other one.  frustrated

I hand painted this one and I threw the other one away! Very Happy

pmma Smile ker
I take it that you are a tidy modeler who doesn't have a box full of left over bits.

I wondered if the base would be suitable for a Corgi Swordfish. I know the base is 1/48 but with the Swordfish being larger than the PT-20 it might be OK. The model would also make a very interesting change from my usual subjects. I had a look on Ebay UK and there are several at reasonable prices but they all come from the US so postage is more than the model. The cheapest one was £7.34 for the model and £17.45 postage!
Back to top Go down

Testors 1/48: Ryan PT-20
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1