The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tamiya 1/72: IJN Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Tamiya 1/72: IJN Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan   Sun Feb 26 2017, 00:33

This is my first Tamiya kit and it is of an unusual variant of the Aichi M6A1 Seiran. The Seiran was a submarine launched floatplane bomber intended to strike the US mainland and the Panama Canal. The K-model is essentially a Seiran with retractable landing gear in place of the floats and the folding tip of the vertical stabilizer removed. It was intended to act as a test and training aircraft with only two examples being built prior to the end of the war.

I have to say that I have absolutely no complaints about the quality of this model. Everything was well designed, the instructions were clear, and the moldings clean and with good detail. I will definitely build another Tamiya kit if they are all of this caliber.

About the only problem I had was with the paint. I did quite a bit of research online and it appears the orange we see on many of the Japanese trainers (such as the Nanzan, the Willow biplane, etc) is not entirely correct. The actual color may have been a yellow-orange (or orange-yellow, yet another controversy) owing to old film color shifting to the orange we now see. Well, I tried to find a pre-mixed paint that would be a close approximation to the correct color (I'm in the orange-yellow camp) and found something that looked pretty close to the example of some actual paint found during an aircraft restoration. It was called "Amber turn signal yellow" for model cars. Great! Except when I mixed it I found it had metallic flakes in it (which it did not say as much on the bottle). Shocked I tried mixing my own and failed miserably. Soooooo...I went to the store and bought the Tamiya orange paint the instructions said to get in the first place.

The model really does add a different look to the usual colors one see in a WWII collection. I am pleased with how it came out (possible incorrect color not-with-standing) and can say it was fun to build. I wouldn't mind building the Tamiya Seiran kit in IJN green next time around.

Back to top Go down

Tamiya 1/72: IJN Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1