The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Sun Feb 26 2017, 00:54

And now for something completely different... Wink

Despite my misgivings about building a Glencoe kit (just read some of the reviews here!) I couldn't resist giving this one a try. Finally I found a BIN deal to good to refuse. Mr. Green

The McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane

The XV-1 was an attempt to build a compound gyrocoptor which joined the capabilities / advantages of helicopters (VTOL) and fixed-wing aircraft (flying speed). The US Army envisioned the XV-1 as being both an observation aircraft as well as air ambulance.

The aircraft was powered by a single radial engine which supplied power to both the main rotor (tips powered by jets of compressed air) and the rear-facing two-bladed pusher prop. Two XV-1 aircraft were produced with the first flight in 1954. In 1955, the second aircraft set a new speed record for rotary aircraft and exceeded 200 mph in level flight. Despite this the project was cancelled in 1957 as there were no significant advantages to be obtained from this aircraft over conventional helicopter design.

The two examples have been donated to the US Army Aviation Museum (on display) and the National Air and Space Museum (in storage).

The Kit

All in all I didn't find this kit to be a bad build. It is certainly a product of its time (look at the raise rivets and the decal areas were cleared spaces on the model itself) as it is a reissue from another company. The instructions were adequate. The decals are thick and, when wet, get a nasty gluey sludge on them (I wiped it off before application). The rotor and prop turn and the two sliding doors (one on each side of the fuselage) can open. It is a heavy model for being plastic and is off a good size.

The interior needed a lot of work to make it look half-way decent. It has a huge sofa in the back, and a wrong-size seat for the pilot. The pilot, Captain Blobby, looks like he came from Central Casting for the movie "Spaceballs." His feet didn't reach the pedals and Glencoe didn't include a control stick. The instrument column, which was open and visible in the back, lacked any detail at all. All bad when you have as much glazing as this model has. Unfortunately there is next to nothing in regard to interior shots of the aircraft to refer to.

So I went to work and moved the control pedals toward "Blobby," added wiring to the back of the instrument column and closed off the base, gave the pilot some much-needed bodywork, built a control column, and added seat-belts to the sofa.

Painting proved to be the biggest challenge for me as I tried to paint the major parts with aerosol spray paint before adding the windows. Good idea but impractical as so much sanding and filling needed to be done when the parts were joined. So I went to brush painting and found my silver didn't quite match, on and on. Rolling Eyes Using pics of the exterior of the aircraft, I painted it in the livery you see here.

On the whole I think it came out okay. It is certainly the only thing in my collection that looks like something from science fiction.

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Tue Apr 04 2017, 08:57

Cool and obsure for sure! I love these post war creations...nothing like a endless checkbook for weapons design, like back then! Lol.

Nice neat build too!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Tue Apr 04 2017, 15:14

Thanks Tom. It does stand out on the shelf. Wink
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Tue Apr 04 2017, 22:32

Hey, that pilot looks like me... Shocked Very cool subject PW, and considering what you started with that's an excellent result. I like how you detailed the back of the instrument panel, I doubt I would have thought of that. I'd love to see a kit of this in 1/72.

PostSubject: Re: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Wed Apr 05 2017, 00:26

Migrant wrote:
Hey, that pilot looks like me... Shocked  

Me too, I'm sorry to say. Rolling Eyes Wink

Thank you for the comments Mike. I think it would be a very cool model in 1/72 and in more modern molding.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane   Wed Apr 05 2017, 08:52

Mike, you have a huge white Afro? afro ...lol

A 1/72 kit would be small and intricate for sure. My nervous system probably couldn't handle that! Lol

Glencoe 1/32: McDonnell XV-1 Convertiplane
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Aurora / Eduard / SMER / Glencoe-
Jump to: