The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Interesting Subject - Restoration of an IL.2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Interesting Subject - Restoration of an IL.2    Sun Feb 26 2017, 11:14

'

THIS...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a25300/soviet-flying-tank-restoration/

Almost as interesting & delicious as the (other) one they got flying again (Airworthy).

Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Subject - Restoration of an IL.2    Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:21

Definitely an interesting subject.  Surprising that such an important aircraft produced in such large numbers, was not preserved by the Soviet Union.  If there's ever a place that lives in the past and toots its own horn about how great it is, Russia is it. You would think they would have quite a few of these on public display, especially where they saved the day!

It will be interesting to see this one progress to completion.  I assume it will be meant to fly.

I've got to get one as either a kit (better) or possible one of the old IXO die-cast (not as good) options.

pmmaker

Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Subject - Restoration of an IL.2    Sun Feb 26 2017, 13:38

pmmaker wrote:

Definitely an interesting subject.  Surprising that such an important aircraft produced in such large numbers, was not preserved by the Soviet Union.  If there's ever a place that lives in the past and toots its own horn about how great it is, Russia is it.  You would think they would have quite a few of these on public display, especially where they saved the day!

It will be interesting to see this one progress to completion.  I assume it will be meant to fly.

I've got to get one as either a kit (better) or possible one of the old IXO die-cast (not as good) options.

pmmaker
'

Crying shame ya "ditched" 1/69th, as Accurate Miniatures made BOTH versions (Twin seat & Single).

The kit is stunning & it's my "unconfirmed" hunch that THE quality mold is alivre & well,

** By that, I mean the Mc.200 & TBM were punted out by other brands, but same 1/48th mold.

It's argued by many that the IL.2 Sturmovik is THE most important WW.II a/c ever made !
(not without a very strong case, either)

I personally think the Hawker Hurricane & Douglas SBD deserve that epithet.

The SBD for arguably winning "Midway" & turning the Pacific War.

The Hurricane for saving an entire Nation - PLUS - The side of an entire Continent (!)

Without the Hurricane, there would've been NO "6th June 1944" or any other E.T.O. battle outcome.

Naturally it's down to 'multiple factors', but to single ONE plane, these are THE ones !

As far as defeatiing the Nazi-Army goes, the IL.2 Sturmovik deserves to be remebered.

(personally, I love the twin-seat versions).
Back to top Go down

Interesting Subject - Restoration of an IL.2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1