The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Questions from a wanna-be shipwright

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Sun Feb 26 2017, 23:06

OK guys, I didn't want to hijack Tom's thread of his ship builds, so I hope this is a good subject to start a thread.

I've only done three ship models (1/72 RAF rescue boat and two 1/144 U-boats) and the thing that really confounds me has to do with scales. Because of cost and size, I believe 1/72 scale is out for me (except for smaller boats like the aforementioned rescue boat). 1/144 is a great scale for subs as it isn't overly expensive or that difficult to display. But the choice of subjects appears quite limited. Then you start going up to 1/300 - 350, 1/400, etc.

So what scale would you guys suggest that:

1. Offers a good selection of subjects.

2. Is at a modest price point.

3. Is a scale that offers good detail for its scale.

Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:33

If you like waterline type models, go with 1/700. Many types of ships available. My scales are mixed, depending on what prototype I want. Not everything is available in one scale, unfortunately.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Mon Feb 27 2017, 11:46

I agree with Tom. 1/700 is the best bet good detail and affordable. I have some 1/350 as well but I feel it lacks the detail of the 1/700 pieces.

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Mon Feb 27 2017, 23:39

Tom and Corey, thanks for chiming in and offering some suggestions. I'll look for some and maybe ask your opinion on them before purchase - if that's okay by you.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Tue Feb 28 2017, 09:13

No problem. The 1/700 waterline Tamyia kits were always good. I built them as a kid, so they are not too difficult.

There are more and more types and makers out there now, so the selection should be pretty good now.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Wed Mar 01 2017, 00:25

I usually think of "waterline" models as being made more for diorama display. Do they still look okay on a shelf or should I stick with the full-hull?

Thanks Tom.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Wed Mar 01 2017, 05:23

When I was younger and built a lot of ship models, my scales were all over the place. The 1/700, 1/200, and other scales were all part of the collection. With ships, the scales are so varied that it was nearly impossible to stick to only one scale. Therefore, I bought ships I was interested in no matter the scale.

I preferred waterline models because they were more stable and easier to display. For sailing ships, I preferred full hull models and I'm still drawn to those.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Fri Mar 03 2017, 09:55

Propwash wrote:
I usually think of "waterline" models as being made more for diorama display. Do they still look okay on a shelf or should I stick with the full-hull?

Thanks Tom.

Well, it is a personal choice. The full hull ships can be glued to their display bases and are stable for display. Many ships are available in the water line profile and even more are available in the full hull version.

Personally I like waterline models as they look as the real ship would appear most of the time, in the water. If the ship has an unusual hull or the exposed hull maximizes the massive appearance of the ship, go with the full hull.

I have both. I tend to buy certain ships I like. If they are not available in waterline, I go with the full hull without reservation.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Fri Mar 03 2017, 13:36

Thank you both for the great help. I saw a couple of good deals on the Revell USS Arizona in 1/486 (?) scale (it was an odd scale). I did a Google build search and found it is really a bad choice for a model. It was first issued in 1958 and Revell has done little to improve it. So passed. I guess I really need to see some builds by rulers or something to get a better sense of scale. I think 1/700 would be as small as I would want to go, but I would prefer something larger if possible.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Fri Mar 03 2017, 15:28

Here is my Revell USS Arizona. Not a bad kit at all.

Here are some 1/700 kits...

Some larger odd scale kits...mostly Revell...

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Fri Mar 03 2017, 17:45

As a kid, I built two Revell Arizona models. One was 1/720 scale:

The other was 1/426 scale:

I recall both being excellent kits that I enjoyed building. I will eventually buy one and build it. Revell also had a "sister" kit to the 720th scale Arizona of the U.S.S. Pennsylvania. All these kits can still be found for an affordable price on eBay.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Sat Mar 04 2017, 00:38

Tom: Thanks for posting pics of the 1/700 kits. They gave me better ideas of what I am looking for. The battleship is about how long in that scale (and the cruiser (I assume) next to it)?

Tom and PMM: I also appreciate the pics of the Revell Arizona kit. The box pics are of the kits I looked at on Ebay. The model reviews I saw were on some of the scale modeler web sites which, I guess, can be as snobby at times as the die cast sites. The main knocks were incorrect hull shape, "blobs" on the turrets that needed removal, some scaling issues, and (gasp) the inability to buy aftermarket detailing parts. I would like to have everything as close to realistic as possible (as anyone would really), but I am not inclined to pay $50 - 100 for a small kit to do so.

I may just go ahead and get one now to test the waters of shipbuilding - so to speak.
Back to top Go down
cjg476

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Sat Mar 04 2017, 01:52

I hear a 1/700 group build coming along.

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Sat Mar 04 2017, 06:49

Great suggestion Corey! Not sure it needs to be strictly 1/700 scale, but I'd be game for a ship based group build.

One of the perks of the forum's new layout - more interesting topics we can explore and discuss.

Propwash, I 100% agree with your comment regarding the "expert" reviews about the Arizona. There are people out there whose sole reason for existing is to find every little, tiny fault in anything that they come across. These people are not happy until they find something to complain about. If we based our buying decisions solely on these comments, we would own nothing.

That's why I long ago decided to simply buy what I like and what interests me. If the Arizona model has some minor, obscure inaccuracies that only a fanatical expert would even know about, so be it. But to me, a casual and recreational kit builder and collector, it looks close enough. I'll be buying one too at some point and I won't think twice about getting a less expensive kit no matter the so-called "faults''

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Questions from a wanna-be shipwright   Sat Mar 04 2017, 08:18

PM, I totally forgot about the 1/700ish Arizona/Pennsylvania kit. I remember building them a couple times each..lol. Not a bad kit from what I remember. Gotta get another now!

PW, the South Dakota Class Battleship I pictured is about 7" long.

With any new entry into a venture that requires modeling skill, which you obviously have already, be careful not to overload your self on the first few kits when it comes to detailing and building difficulties. Start simple and work your way up. I hate to see someone get discouraged and some ship models are definitely capable of doing that! Lol.

With all the ships I have built, I have yet to use aftermarket parts for detailing. The kit parts are enough of a challenge for me!

Some other nice kits are made by Airfix. I have built a number of their smaller kits and they come out very well. Any cheaper kit will still come out good. Here is one...

Last edited by TomMarkert on Sat Mar 04 2017, 08:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Questions from a wanna-be shipwright
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next