The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

V-22 Osprey sighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: V-22 Osprey sighting   Sat Mar 04 2017, 00:27

I was at work today and was speaking to the shop foreman where our vehicles are serviced. We are located under one of the flight paths for aircraft landing at the Chico (CA) Municipal Airport so we are accustomed to seeing and hearing all kinds of aircraft (both civil and military). As we were talking inside the building we started to feel a very low-pitched rumble and very loud noise (think of those cars with booming bass coming from the speakers). We both went outside to investigate what was making the noise. looking-up at the overcast sky we saw two V-22 Osprey flying low and in fairly close formation almost on top of us. Awesome! What a Face This was the first time I had seen the aircraft in person and was really impressed by what I saw. I don't think you can say they would be useful for a covert operation if the noise was any indication. But they are so unique and cool looking.

Now I have to ask why they were in our area? We are used to seeing the U-2 spyplanes and T-28s from Beale AFB as they regularly do touch and go's here. But the Osprey?? scratch Anyway, I would now like to add one to my collection. Wink
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Sat Mar 04 2017, 08:49

I have seen them along the Hudson River near NYC. There are impressive but they often fly high so a good view of them is tough.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Sun Mar 05 2017, 00:08

Tom, I probably looked like Mr. Spanky there when I saw them. I'm not a good judge of an airplanes' altitude when there is nothing but sky behind it. But they were close enough to get a good look.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:26

Here is a Hawkeye I managed to get a pic of from the Hoboken waterfront. As you say, looking way up. This is about the same altitude at which I saw the Osprey. Didn't have my phone though...lol

Tom

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Sun Mar 05 2017, 19:53

Nice you get to see things like that Tom. I miss seeing military aircraft like I used to in Southern California (when I lived there). Thanks for posting the pic. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Tue Mar 14 2017, 10:15

We have seen some weird stuff here. I remember seeing "Air Force 1" flying around the Statue of Liberty and Jersey City months after 911, causing quite a stir/panic. It turns out they were shooting publicity shots from a nearby fighter...

I saw the NASA 747 with the space shuttle Enterprise on its back as it flew up and down the Hudson as it delivered the shuttle to the USS Intrepid museum.

We see many Marine Seahawk helos, Chinooks and Army Blackhawks in a regular basis. Then we have fleet week once a year, and it seems every thing is flying around here...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: V-22 Osprey sighting   Wed Mar 15 2017, 01:09

I remember that flap about the publicity shots. seems long ago now doesn't it? The 747/shuttle flew by Sacramento before going east, but I missed it as I was at work 70 miles north. Sad Otherwise I don't see anything really unusual - just the U-2s and T-38s from Beale AFB or all the CalFire aircraft during fire season. Cool stuff Tom.
Back to top Go down

V-22 Osprey sighting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1