The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Ship Building Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Ship Building Tips   Sat Mar 04 2017, 09:04

Here are a couple tips that I learned during my ship building spree a few years ago.

1)"Boot Line" The black stripe separating the bottom of the hull, which is painted "hull red" and the upper hull above the water line is called a "boot line". I used to mask and paint everything. A good short cut is to paint the hull red first. I then use black stripes from Microscale decals. I bought various widths for whatever scale ship I was painting. The striping gives a good, sharp line that looks better than any painted stripe I have done before.

2)Rigging the lines on the ships can be tedious and difficult, but it is worth the time when you see the end result. Most of my ships are rigged with stretched sprue made by heating scrap sprue over a candle and pulling the ends as the sprue begins to melt. Cut appropriate thickness sections to produce lines and glue them in place. You can cut them long and trim them after they dry in place.

The new way is to use EZ Line. Many of us are familiar with this product from building our aircraft. For me, it is tricky to use. I am sure others will post advice on how to use it. I plan on using it on my next ship build.

PostSubject: Re: Ship Building Tips   Sat Mar 04 2017, 09:27

Great tips Tom!

I too used to mask and paint my "boot lines" on all my ships too.  What a chore!  Decals are a much easier tool to use and they do give good results.  If you buy some decal paper, you can create your own using a computer and a laser or ink jet printer. I posted a tutorial in the "modeling tips" section of the kit building forum on how to make your own decals.

Another way I used to do my "boot lines" was to go to a car parts store and buy some black pin-striping tape.  It comes in different widths and is easy to apply as it can be taped to follow ship hull contours.  I may go back to this method in the future if I build later ship models.  As I plan to start off simple with sailing ships, boot lines won't be as important to me at first.

Another method I've used is to paint a thin band of the boot line color first.  Then I use a thin stripe of Testors masking tape (sold at hobby shops in a 3 roll pack) to cover the boot line color while I spray or hand paint the rest of the hull color.  When done, I carefully peel off the tape and voila! A nice, even boot line.

As to rigging, years ago I used to glue black sewing thread for my rigging.  I'll probably go the same route or use EZ Line.  I like black stretched sprue, but I find it way too fragile for rigging.  When I have to dust a model, the sprue breaking and having to be replaced always seems to be inevitable chore.

pmmaker

Last edited by pmmaker on Sun Mar 26 2017, 08:10; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Ship Building Tips   Sun Mar 05 2017, 00:05

Keep those tips coming! cheers
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Ship Building Tips   Sun Mar 05 2017, 09:07

Propwash wrote:
Keep those tips coming! cheers

There are so many tips and techniques out there available to those who love to build ship models. It's a small, eclectic group of collectors and builders who keep this segment of the hobby going. We could probably start a forum just for ships and ship model building.

I've found that the best way to learn about building ship models is similar to how we learn how to build planes; we read, we ask questions, and we do.

Good luck if you start building ships Propwash. It seems a few of us are starting this trip together.

pmmaker

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Ship Building Tips   Sun Mar 05 2017, 09:28

Always lot of good information on the forums. I've been enjoying the ship thread.

Ship Building Tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1