The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Academy 1/72 B-17B

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sun Mar 05 2017, 09:59

I dug out a long lost kit. I purchased this kit from Squadron 10 years ago. The shipping invoice was still in the box!

This model is the prewar B-17 version. It is the first 1/72 B-17 I have built in over 30 years.

This kit looks good. Everything was there and even the small parts are well cast and strong, quite the opposite of the Hasegawa Mavis I just built. A refreshing start. The decals look great. Nice graphics. Not a ton of interior detail, but just enough. Just my speed.

I am still deciding how I want to paint this kit. I will probably spray paint the silver surfaces before assembly. There are lots of big windows and blisters to look through, so interior painting is a must.

I started assembly as per instructions with the building of the flight deck and bombardier/navigation deck. Just a handful of parts which fit very well. With assembly completed, parts dry before painting and decaling the cockpit interior.

I cut the fuselage halves away from the sprue and did a quick test fitting. They fit together nice, with no gaps. The only seam work will be smoothing out the sprue pins...

More to follow...

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:06

Great start Tom to a very nice kit. I built the B-17F and the B-17G from this company and found both to be fun kits to put together if one takes their time (which I know you usually do) and builds them slowly.

I can't wait to see this one done. I've wanted a B-17B for a long time, but I've never pulled the trigger to get one. Your build might be the inspiration I need.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:43

Watching this with interest Tom, as I also have this kit in my stash (although planning to do it in RAF markings).

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Fri Mar 10 2017, 18:51

So far, so good. All windows are installed and the two waist guns in and painted. I finished the flight deck and did a test fit in the fuselage...

Now I am building bombs. Eight of them to be installed in the Bomb bay before the fuselage is assembled. They will be painted yellow as the version plane I am building is a prewar plane...

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Fri Mar 10 2017, 20:24

Nice! A "shark-fin" B-17 What a Face I'm looking forward to seeing how you put it together Tom. The box-art scheme will look especially good.

Open-question: Why do you suppose a B-17B was never done in die cast? I can think of the Pearl Harbor B-17 flight and, since Migrant mentions it, an RAF scheme, but are there not enough "subject" aircraft to warrant Corgi or AF1 to put it into production?
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Fri Mar 10 2017, 21:50

Not enough variations I suppose. I would love to see this in diecast...

Dinky made one in diecast years ago...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Fri Mar 10 2017, 22:56

Me too! It would be very expensive if Corgi did it. But if there weren't any major inaccuracies I would pony-up to buy one.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sat Mar 11 2017, 09:48

Me too. The prewar stuff always was a favorite of mine. A Pearl Harbor B-17 and a silver version would be a good start. Then throw in the RAF version....hmmm....

Anyway, I finished the interior. I gave the entire interior a wash of thinned black paint. Then the bombs were installed and the yellow paint work touched up.

The cockpit was installed and the side glued together. It is drying now along with a little putty in a couple small gaps...

[/url]
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19622457/83]

The wings are the next step.....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sat Mar 11 2017, 10:08

Looking good Tom, those yellow bombs are really eye-popping Cool

This is the Rising Decals sheet I bought for my planned RAF B-17.

Last edited by Migrant on Tue Jul 18 2017, 10:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sat Mar 11 2017, 20:56

Thanks Mike. They are painted yellow in the box photos and they caught my eye too. I dont know if they were inert or actual bombs back then, but they look good.

The RAF version is really handsome. The version with the blue underside really looks handsome. I am sure they all make great paint schemes on the models though. I never realized the RAF had the B versions...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Sun Mar 12 2017, 14:58

Construction continues. I added details to the nacelles and did final sanding on the wings. The many tiny windows and openings in the fuselage were masked over with Tamyia masking tape. The fuselage received a final sanding and the off to the garage for some silver paint. I am using Tamyia "Bare Metal" for the project...

Once everything was painted it was set aside to dry. The Tamyia paint dries extremely fast. With in a couple hours, I was removing the masking tape from the windows and openings in the fuselage.

After cleaning up the wing roots, cement was applied to the starboard side and allowed to set up. The other wing was installed and the whole plane was set on braces to allow the wings to dry in the proper position.

The plane will sit for a few hours to dry solid. There is quite a bit of painting ahead, especially the engines and their cowlings. Slow but steady progress.....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Mon Mar 13 2017, 09:24

That is looking very sharp, Tom, those Tamiya spray paints are amazing. How did you mask the cockpit/interior openings while you were spraying?

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Mon Mar 13 2017, 11:45

I just used strips of tamyia tape. I had a tiny leak near the cockpit but it will clean up fine...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Wed Mar 15 2017, 14:22

Cowls, props and engines painted and assembled now. All underside details added and landing gear installed.

The plane at this stage. A couple top side details to add and then time to start on the canopies and blisters. Lots of masking work ahead!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 B-17B   Wed Mar 15 2017, 14:45

Very nice (and very colourful)!

Academy 1/72 B-17B
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next