The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Tue Mar 07 2017, 08:50

Revell have released a few Lancasters over the years but this is from their latest 2007 tooling, and is by far their most accurate. It went together with no problems except for the fit of the inner engine nacelles to the wing, which required some filler (and may have been my fault). The model has extensive interior detail and as you can see from the pics, a decent bomb load. The one criticism of the kit is the lack of wing dihedral; it should be much more pronounced than it is. I chose to ignore it but in retrospect, wish I'd amended it as it does look a little 'flat'. Decals are from Xtradecals, except for the home-printed nose art.

Last edited by Migrant on Sun Jul 02 2017, 10:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sat Apr 01 2017, 08:35

Do you have a basement full of Chinese factory workers building for you? Your kit looks like something that Hobby Master would put out, but 100 times better. My God, this build is amazing. Aside from your beautiful panel line work, the overall paint work and subtle weathering are outstanding.

You make me feel small and unworthy...lol.

One technical question, what is the large cylinder in the bomb bay? It is a incendiary bomb of some sort?

Your work is really great. Something for everyone to aspire to...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sat Apr 01 2017, 09:27

Thanks Tom. A team of assistants would be great, to do all the modelling tasks which I don't enjoy – assembly, cockpit detailing, filling, sanding, masking, painting, decalling etc...  Very Happy

I appreciate the kind words, all I can say is that I've been doing this a long time and have shamelessly borrowed techniques from modellers whose work I admire. I think the biggest 'quantum leap' was moving from brush painting to airbrushing, back in the late 70s. Just on account of the super fine paint thickness and the absence of brush strokes, the finish tends to look better, although there are admittedly some amazing brush painters. I also went through a ten-year phase of entering model contests, which I really enjoyed and forced me to improve my standards in order to compete.

I enjoy this site because there's never any sense of judgmentalism; whatever level we're at and comfortable with seems readily accepted and encouraged. I like that.

TomMarkert wrote:

One technical question, what is the large cylinder in the bomb bay? It is a incendiary bomb of some sort?

It's a 4,000lb high capacity blast bomb called a 'Cookie'.

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sat Apr 01 2017, 11:42

Migrant wrote:

I enjoy this site because there's never any sense of judgmentalism; whatever level we're at and comfortable with seems readily accepted and encouraged. I like that.

Migrant, you models really look like the real thing!   As to your comment above, I agree fully.  PS  I make models also, and much enjoy them.......however, if one of your models was to "poop out" a model, mine MIGHT look as good as that!! Razz Razz

Last edited by Captain Eddie on Sat Apr 01 2017, 19:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PBRStreetgang

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sat Apr 01 2017, 18:32

Beautiful build and the weathering is grouse.

There is some history on the net with this 100 SQN Lancaster. Sadly only the last mission and where four of the brave crew were buried.

http://aircrewremembered.com/bunn-pm.html
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sun Apr 02 2017, 01:08

Magnificent as usual Migrant. I have a Tamiya Lancaster but will put it away for a while and do something else. On a plus side, and I imagine this might apply to other forum members , when I look at some of your models it gives me the urge to do better.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sun Apr 02 2017, 07:02

rumpler wrote:
Magnificent as usual Migrant. I have a Tamiya Lancaster but will put it away for a while and do something else. On a plus side, and I imagine this might apply to other forum members , when I look at some of your models it gives me the urge to do better.

Agreed! I look at what Migrant builds and strive to make my models look at least comparable to what he's done. I even learn from him - which is what our forum IS all about!

I built an old Revell Lancaster for our group build a while back. It was the old 1960s version that was re-released in Brazil and that I picked up for next to nothing off eBay. Mine came out nowhere as good as this one did. The detailing and those extra little touches such as the exhaust staining and the bombs just make this build extraordinary.

Fantastic job Mike! Thank you for sharing it with us.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I   Sun Apr 02 2017, 19:03

I wish my Corgi Lancs looked anywhere near as nice as this. Beautiful work, Mike.
Back to top Go down

Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster Mk. I
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1