The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Post new topic   Reply to topicShare | 
 

 Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

avatar

Posts : 279
Join date : 2017-03-05

PostSubject: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Fri Mar 10 2017, 10:13

This is from the early 70s, a period when Airfix produced some of their best kits (not counting their current new-tools). It's tiny in 1/72 but pretty accurate and goes together with no major issues. Unfortunately the surfaces were covered in a faux-linen texture which if scaled up would be more like wickerwork, so this was all sanded off and the rib tapes replaced with thin strips of masking tape. Other mods included re-skinning the fuselage as the Airfix ribs were incorrect, accurising the undercarriage and adding the gap/post in the rear fuselage. (The tail-skid should have been moved back too, but I forgot  Embarassed ) It was converted to a naval version, which consisted of cutting a hole in the upper wing and mounting the Lewis gun on a tripod.












______________________________________________________
 Mike Grant | Calgary AB


Last edited by Migrant on Sun Jul 02 2017, 10:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie



Posts : 41
Join date : 2017-02-18
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Fri Mar 10 2017, 11:48

Migrant, I LOVE ALL your creations, but especially WW I, and especially your Sopwith Pup. It is great to see it again, thanks for re-posting it!
Back to top Go down
Propwash

avatar

Posts : 273
Join date : 2017-02-18
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Fri Mar 10 2017, 12:07

What a delicate little beauty that is. Very Happy

Are you using fishing line for the rigging? And how do you manage to get such wonderful effect with the silver paint? Airbrush obviously. but is it a metalizer paint that you have polished? Thanks Migrant.
Back to top Go down
Migrant

avatar

Posts : 279
Join date : 2017-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Sat Mar 11 2017, 09:25

Captain Eddie wrote:
Migrant, I LOVE ALL your creations, but especially WW I, and especially your Sopwith Pup.  It is great to see it again, thanks for re-posting it!

Thanks Captain Eddie, it's nice to be here Smile

Propwash wrote:
What a delicate little beauty that is. Very Happy

Are you using fishing line for the rigging? And how do you manage to get such wonderful effect with the silver paint? Airbrush obviously. but is it a metalizer paint that you have polished? Thanks Migrant.

Thank you Propwash. The rigging on this model is stretched sprue, the kind you get on vinyl tank tracks (this was from a Matchbox Jagdpanther I think). Because it's flexible it retains its elasticity when stretched, which makes the rigging more robust. I now use Uschi Van Der Rosten rigging thread, which is a black elastic fibre and available in three thicknesses.

The silver is airbrushed Alclad Polished Aluminum, straight from the bottle, no polishing necessary. Cool

______________________________________________________
 Mike Grant | Calgary AB
Back to top Go down
Propwash

avatar

Posts : 273
Join date : 2017-02-18
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Sat Mar 11 2017, 15:14

Migrant wrote:


Thank you Propwash. The rigging on this model is stretched sprue, the kind you get on vinyl tank tracks (this was from a Matchbox Jagdpanther I think). Because it's flexible it retains its elasticity when stretched, which makes the rigging more robust. I now use Uschi Van Der Rosten rigging thread, which is a black elastic fibre and available in three thicknesses.

The silver is airbrushed Alclad Polished Aluminum, straight from the bottle, no polishing necessary. Cool

Stretched sprue! Shocked I have no talent for making lengths of it beyond an inch or so. Then it breaks or becomes a different thickness. How do you think the Van Der Rosten thread compares to something like EZ Line?

Also floored that the Alclad is applied by brush. Nice!
Back to top Go down
Migrant

avatar

Posts : 279
Join date : 2017-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup   Sun Mar 12 2017, 09:54

Propwash wrote:


Stretched sprue! Shocked I have no talent for making lengths of it beyond an inch or so. Then it breaks or becomes a different thickness. How do you think the Van Der Rosten thread compares to something like EZ Line?

I've used EZLine quite a bit and really like it, but it has a flat cross-section whereas the UVDR is circular, it's black rather than dark grey and is considerably finer so looks (to my eye anyway) more in-scale, especially in 1/72.

Propwash wrote:
Also floored that the Alclad is applied by brush. Nice!

It's airbrushed PW. I don't think Alclad can be brushed on.

______________________________________________________
 Mike Grant | Calgary AB
Back to top Go down
 
Airfix 1/72 Sopwith Pup
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Airfix / Heller-
Post new topic   Reply to topicJump to: