The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

This week's ship model purchases...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: This week's ship model purchases...   Fri Mar 10 2017, 18:14

I picked up a 1/720 Arizona kit...being the ship of discussion recently. A nice kit I plan on building as a waterline model...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Fri Mar 10 2017, 20:13

I'm glad you picked this one up Tom. I must say that ship model scales are really all over the place in comparison to aircraft aren't they? 1/720 scale instead of 1/700? I think that's why I have to see pics with rulers (or read dimensions) of the models to get an idea of size. scratch
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Sat Mar 11 2017, 06:16

Propwash wrote:
I'm glad you picked this one up Tom. I must say that ship model scales are really all over the place in comparison to aircraft aren't they? 1/720 scale instead of 1/700? I think that's why I have to see pics with rulers (or read dimensions) of the models to get an idea of size. scratch

There's really no rhyme or reason in terms of scale. Even within product lines and manufacturers you get a variation in scale and size.

This particular kit is not too large - a bit over 10 inches long and the details (smaller caliber guns) are pretty well represented. Back when Revell engineered these, the norm was to have a 3-piece hull. You would have two upper hull halves and the bottom of the hull that would either be glued on for a full hull or left off for a waterline display option. I used to trace the joined upper hull on some poster board and cut it out to glue to the hull bottom if I was doing a waterline model. Otherwise the hull was open at the waterline and the only support was the main deck.

Have fun building this one Tom. I remember it fondly as I had built it several times as a kid.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Tue Mar 14 2017, 10:00

Thanks PM. I recall building the Pennsylvania kit. I do remember the hull setup being rather flimsy in the waterline mode. Some added bracing will be a must.

I want to model it as the Pennsylvania but it would have to be Pearl Harbor or before. After Pearl, the ship was upgraded with 5" Gun turrets replacing the open 5" mounts and she had the aft tower removed.

Unfortunately, the real Pennsylvania was sunk off Kwajalein in 1946 after being subjected to Atomic testing in Operation Crossroads. The Nevada, the only BB to get underway in the Pearl Harbor attack, was also wrecked at the Bikini Atoll tests...sad.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Wed Mar 15 2017, 01:13

Guys, I purchased my first ship model today on Ebay. It is a Trumpeter 1/700 WWII Zerstorer Z31 (Destroyer) from the German Kriegsmarine. I've no idea what I am getting into. But I will say it will be my next build after the gilded turd of an F-86D I am working on. That model is close to becoming a target drone.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Wed Mar 15 2017, 09:31

Propwash wrote:
Guys, I purchased my first ship model today on Ebay. It is a Trumpeter 1/700 WWII Zerstorer Z31 (Destroyer) from the German Kriegsmarine. I've no idea what I am getting into. But I will say it will be my next build after the gilded turd of an F-86D I am working on. That model is close to becoming a target drone.

I can't wait to hear your feelings and opinions about building ships.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience building this one Bret.

I've been working on my America Cup racing yacht and I must tell you, it's a completely different experience than working on a plane!  Lots more details to attend too and a whole different way to tackle the job.  I'm having fun and I'm looking forward to the day when I can reveal it to the forum.

Ships will be something I build as an occasional "treat" to myself when I've built too many plane models and I want a break.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Wed Mar 15 2017, 20:10

True. Changing subjects in model building is a good idea when things seem to get routine. I find myself wandering to and from different subjects in model building, mainly between planes, military vehicles and model railroading.

Then there is the collecting hobby, buying prebuilt planes and military vehicles. I don't really venture out of the realm of military stuff except for various civilian Dinky and Matchbox vehicles I collect.

I look forward to seeing Allan's yacht. It is a nice diversion from the norm.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Thu Mar 16 2017, 01:09

I agree with you both in that this will be a welcome break from airplane models. That's why I did the two sub models I added to the old forum. Just a welcome break. Smile

Thanks PMM, I'm looking forward to getting it too. bounce
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Sun Apr 02 2017, 07:06

Bought a ship that focuses on a topic close and dear to my heart: One of the lightships that served mariners in the past.

From Lindberg, the Lightship Nantucket. I hope to build it next week when I'm on April vacation.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Sun Apr 02 2017, 07:52

Cool! My bother served on the lightship "Relief" out of Boston when he was in the USCG back in the 1970's. They stood guard over the Nantucket Shoals. The ship was eventually replaced by an unmannned buoy.

It was the height of the Cold War and they often had encounters with Soviet Bloc ships that would threaten to ram them and veer off at the last minute. The largest weapon on the lightship was a battery of M-16 rifles....

They had a cook who did some amazing model work featuring lightships. I will try and look him up...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Sun Apr 02 2017, 20:21

Now you've done it. The genie has been released from its lamp and I have purchased a 1/700 Trumpeter Prinz Eugen (1942 version) heavy cruiser to go with me destroyer. I went with the Trumpeter for the full hull, otherwise it would have been the Tamiya kit. What a Face

I have NO idea where these are going to go now. affraid

PMM: I really like the lightship model - that will look really nice when complete.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: This week's ship model purchases...   Sat Apr 29 2017, 07:54

I recall the Prinz Eugen being made by Revell in a small scale when I was a kid. The Revell kit would probably be more my speed, with a bit less detail than the Trumpeter version. My patience grow smaller and my fingers seem fatter!

Nice selection to go with your destroyer. Keep us updated!

Tom

This week's ship model purchases...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1