The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

World's only fully restored WWII PT-Boat is operational

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: World's only fully restored WWII PT-Boat is operational   Sat Mar 11 2017, 02:54

After seeing Tom's model PT-109, I came across a news story that seems most appropriate. PT-305, of the New Orleans WWII Museum, is now fully restored and is available for 90-minute rides. The price isn't cheap (like the B-17 / B-24 rides you see occasionally), but how else are you going to experience such a thing? Here's a link:

http://pt305.org/
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: World's only fully restored WWII PT-Boat is operational   Sat Mar 11 2017, 09:53

There were a couple PT boats on the Hudson, near Kingston, N.Y.  They were offfering group rides and they would come a pick you up any where along the river...for a fee of course. They have one running and the other was a hull. They are both being restored now. I believe it is the Obsolete Boat group that owns them.

My work location is near Bayonne NJ, where the ELCO plant was located along Newark Bay. Many of the WW2 PT Boats were built there. The factory site is now condos, but the area of water they launched the boats in, exists now as "ELCO Marina"....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: World's only fully restored WWII PT-Boat is operational   Sat Mar 11 2017, 12:34

Propwash wrote:
After seeing Tom's model PT-109, I came across a news story that seems most appropriate. PT-305, of the New Orleans WWII Museum, is now fully restored and is available for 90-minute rides. The price isn't cheap (like the B-17 / B-24 rides you see occasionally), but how else are you going to experience such a thing? Here's a link:

http://pt305.org/

Wow You weren't kidding. $350. affraid I realize it took a lot to restore but I would think the maintenance and storage expense is less than a WWII warbird. I'll have to enjoy it from the dock

World's only fully restored WWII PT-Boat is operational
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1