The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4301 USAF F-86F Sabre "The Huff", 39th FIS, South Korea 1953

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4301 USAF F-86F Sabre "The Huff", 39th FIS, South Korea 1953   Sat Mar 11 2017, 18:23

HA4301
Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
North American F-86F Sabre
"The Huff" Flown by Lt. Jim Thompson
39th FIS, K-13 (Suwon AB), South Korea June 1953

July 2013 Release

Just arrived today from Hong Kong and I have to say that I am impressed.

This is a very nice model and raises the standard when compared with other companies and their F-86 releases (just as Hobby Master did previously with their F/A-18 tooling).

All parts fit well with no gluing required. The landing gear are made as complete modules and fit snugly. The Canopy is fully movable and slides from closed to fully open. The cockpit instrument panel (with gun sight on top of the instrument shroud) and side panels are portrayed (of note is that unlike the Corgi tooling the pilot does not sit too far back). Separate parts are included to display the speed brakes either open or closed. Hobby Master has also developed a 1950s era Pilot and has included him with this release for the first time. External fuel tanks are provided with angled pylons which were commonly used in Korea. Straight pylons have been tooled and will be available for future releases.

I was involved with making corrections to the proposed markings and all the suggestions were listened to and are present on the model. The following errors have been avoided:

1) The artwork on the starboard side ("Bill's Baby") has been added.
2) The spines on the Dragon are correctly painted red rather than orange.
3) The Star and Bar and "USAF" have been correctly positioned on the wings
with the Star and Bar increased in size.
4) The Star and Bar have been correctly positioned on the speed brakes.
5) The fuel dump mast is correctly painted red.
6) Yellow Canopy Jettison handle was added.
7) The nose gear door is correctly painted red.
Cool Interior all landing gear bays correctly painted interior green.
9) Interior of the speed brakes correctly painted interior green.
10) The radar ranging radar on the tip of the nose has been correctly reduced in size.
11). "THE HUFF" titles have now been outlined in yellow.

When Hobby Master first published their pre production photos I was initially concerned with the gaps in the join lines on the rear fuselage. As it turned out the photos were of a developmental model and did not reflect the further refinement of the tooling present in the end product. The join lines are now a forgotten non issue.

Overall an accurate and pleasing model. Very highly recommended and I look forward to future releases.

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4301 USAF F-86F Sabre "The Huff", 39th FIS, South Korea 1953
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1