The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Sun Mar 12 2017, 08:49

Ever wonder what was used to repel B-52s, Phantoms and other Vietnam era fighters? Here it is...the TZM PR11B rocket, or SAM 2 surface to air missile. It was designed and built by the Soviet Union when the US B-52 bombers came on line. It is the same Missile used to shoot down U2 flights and many other military aircraft flown against Communist countries. Very common amongst Soviet block nations and heavily used by North Vietnam and North Korea.

This model is made by DIP models and found on EBay and other diecast sites. It is made in China but it tends to be a highend model as they go for around $150.00. The missile comes mounted on a trailer which is also a launch platform I believe. There are more substantial launchers used with the missiles at fixed sites. This model is non functioning except for the rolling wheels. It is nicely detailed and marked with actual decals instead of more modern pad printed markings.

I bought the missile, trailer and the typical tractor used to pull the trailer. The truck is a ZIL 157 KV. This truck was developed in 1958 but its origins date back to WW2, from International and Studebaker trucks supplied to the Soviets by the US. All metal, it is substantial and nicely detailed also. The styrene plastic mirrors are a bit fragile. I broke one while installing it.

Overall, a nice model at a decent size, about 14" overall. A uncommon subject in the diecast world I can appreciate.

Tom

Last edited by TomMarkert on Sun Mar 12 2017, 15:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Sun Mar 12 2017, 09:45

That's very cool Tom, it looks pretty well detailed for a 1/43 die cast. Missile looks good too in the two-tone scheme with all the stencilling. I've built the 1/35 Trumpeter kit of this, which I finished in Egyptian colors/markings. Perhaps I'll post it in the armour section later.

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Sun Mar 12 2017, 10:54

Great looking but as you say pretty expensive. Shocked Would love to have one though .

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Tue Mar 14 2017, 09:47

The company produces a nice line of Soviet trucks. They tend to finish them in the "parade polished" look. If they drop in price, I might consider a code3 on one of the Ural trucks. I always liked the look of those large wheeled modern Soviet trucks...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Wed Mar 15 2017, 01:19

What a cool item to add to a collection. You also have others you've built, right?

When I was a kid I was so into the space race with rockets and missiles. I belonged to some type of NASA Jr. Astronauts Club and would get books and models every couple of months. I recall building Mercury and Gemini capsules (with crew and moving parts), a full Saturn V rocket (that separated into stages and into the command and lunar modules), and one of my favorites - a display of every known rocket and missile in the US arsenal. There seemed to be 40-50 rockets and missiles on the display base and arranged according to size and mission. You had to paint and decal each one. Good times.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Wed Mar 15 2017, 05:50

It is actually the first Soviet missile I have ever owned! I have a small collection of US rockets and missiles but not a lot.

I built many,many Estes rockets as a kid. They all flew...most were lost! There are kits out there that are displays of the various cold
War missiles but they tend to be expensive despite their small scale.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Thu Mar 16 2017, 01:17

If that's your first Soviet missile it is a great way to start a new facet to your collection. I thought of you the other day when I saw a new kit which had a WWII German "Rheintochter" anti-aircraft missile in its launch battery. It was in a fairly large scale too (not 1/72). Can't recall where I saw it, but is that something that interests you?
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43   Thu Mar 16 2017, 08:41

I think it was in the "Military Issue" catalog or the recent Squadron flyer.

Unfortunately, I am not a big WW2 German fan, but more Cold War when it comes to missiles...although I do have V-2 in my display...

Tom

DIP Models SAM2 missile 1/43
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1