The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Academy 1/72 P-51B

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: Academy 1/72 P-51B   Mon Mar 13 2017, 09:39

I rarely build more than one of the same subject, but I make an exception with the P-51. There are so many unique schemes and variants that I have several in my collection. This is an out-of-box build of the Academy 'B'. It's a very nice little kit. According to the experts the canopy shape/length is suspect and I must admit it does seem a little squished, but it doesn't detract too much. Assembly is straightforward, the parts almost click together and the surface detail is superb. NMF is Alclad, decals depict 'Scarlet Kate' flown by Lt.Col. George R Rew. 374th FS, 361st FG.

Last edited by Migrant on Sun Jul 02 2017, 11:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 P-51B   Sat Apr 01 2017, 08:42

Beautiful build. A nice sleek fighter with great detail.

What exactly is "Alclad"? It looks great. How long does it take to build a plane like this to the finished product you are presenting here?

A wonderful work of art and thanks for posting it!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Academy 1/72 P-51B   Sat Apr 01 2017, 09:33

Thanks for the kind comment Tom. Alclad is a metallic, lacquer paint which comes in a range of finishes, from high chrome to burnt iron. It can only be applied by airbrush and requires a primer, but goes on beautifully, dries instantly and can be masked without fear of lifting the paint. It's brilliant stuff, though like all lacquers, it's smelly. Here's the Alclad website.

I never record the hours on a build but I'd guess around 40 hours for a model of this size/complexity, built over 3 or 4 weeks. I do remember the masking was quite complicated and took several hours to apply the invasion stripes.

Academy 1/72 P-51B
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1