The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell Spad X111

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 01:06

This is a 1/28 Spad X111 , not a very advanced kit but a very nice build. I had built one before , about 20 years ago in a short lived effort at model building. The first one going together with no trouble at all but this needed some effort to get it to fit well as well. This kit was reissued and built in another country and this happened to me with an Academy Sopwith Camel that I built about the time of the original Spad. From memory the first was good but the reissue was rubbish and went into the Hall of Shame. The Spad sells for about $40 here which is cheap for a model of this size and with a bit of work could be made into a very presentable model. In a smaller scale would be very difficult to paint the correct colours and you would need about six different colours.

I did the tyre with a lead pencil.

The spell checker on this forum is starting to annoy me as it cannot spell "colour" and "tyre" in correct Australian.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 03:58

rumpler wrote:

The spell checker on this forum is starting to annoy me as it cannot spell "colour" and "tyre" in correct Australian.

Very Happy I use MS Word and it annoys me that there is no permanent option for English(UK), you have to change the options for each individual document.

Great build though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 09:24

Great model and nicely done John. I too built this kit, but I did the multi-color Rickenbacker scheme. My only complaint was with the sheer size of these in 28th scale. They are really large planes to put together, paint, and decal.

I really like this green scheme and those markings. I may have to find some 48th or 72nd scale markings for this scheme and make one. It's very attractive.

As to the spell checker giving you trouble, I will post a solution in the forum's tips section. But to give you help right now, when you spell a word like tyre (tire) and the red squiggly line appears, put your cursor on the word and right-mouse click. A set of options will appear on your screen. Four choices down you will see "Add to dictionary". Click this. From now on your "proper English" words that you entered will not get flagged.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 09:38

Another beautiful WWI model. You do great work John.
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 09:48

Beautiful work as always, John. After you use the lead pencil on the tyre, do you do anything to it so it will not rub off? Or is that not a big problem to begin with?

Thanks in advance, John!
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 15:49

Really nice work, John. Good stuff I remember those Revell 1/28 kits, I may have had the Fokker Triplane at one time.

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 17:26

Captain Eddie wrote:
Beautiful work as always, John.  After you use the lead pencil on the tyre, do you do anything to it so it will not rub off?  Or is that not a big problem to begin with?

Thanks in advance, John!

No, just left it as it was. I think I did a flat black undercoat first. With a bit more effort it could have come up a bit better. Thanks for your comment. John.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 17:32

Admin wrote:
Great model and nicely done John.  I too built this kit, but I did the multi-color Rickenbacker scheme.  My only complaint was with the sheer size of these in 28th scale.  They are really large planes to put together, paint, and decal.  

I really like this green scheme and those markings.  I may have to find some 48th or 72nd scale markings for this scheme and make one.  It's very attractive.

As to the spell checker giving you trouble, I will post a solution in the forum's tips section.  But to give you help right now, when you spell a word like tyre (tire) and the red squiggly line appears, put your cursor on the word and right-mouse click.  A set of options will appear on your screen. Four choices down you will see "Add to dictionary".  Click this.  From now on your "proper English" words that you entered will not get flagged.

Allan

Thanks for the help Allan, it works well. I was going to take the easy way and learn to spell the American way. The next thing is to stop my text from wrapping around the photos. Will give that a bit of thought. Thanks John.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 17:39

Migrant wrote:
Really nice work, John.  Good stuff I remember those Revell 1/28 kits, I may have had the Fokker Triplane at one time.

They were a good kit to start modelling with and the price was very low. I bought the Waldo Pepper version new for $5 and some years later saw an unopened kit for sale in the States for $80.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 17:43

Propwash wrote:
Another beautiful WWI model. You do great work John.
Thanks Propwash. That W29 you built was a beautiful model. Pity there are so few of this type of model being built.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Revell Spad X111   Tue Mar 14 2017, 19:39

rumpler wrote:
Admin wrote:
Great model and nicely done John.  I too built this kit, but I did the multi-color Rickenbacker scheme.  My only complaint was with the sheer size of these in 28th scale.  They are really large planes to put together, paint, and decal.  

I really like this green scheme and those markings.  I may have to find some 48th or 72nd scale markings for this scheme and make one.  It's very attractive.

As to the spell checker giving you trouble, I will post a solution in the forum's tips section.  But to give you help right now, when you spell a word like tyre (tire) and the red squiggly line appears, put your cursor on the word and right-mouse click.  A set of options will appear on your screen. Four choices down you will see "Add to dictionary".  Click this.  From now on your "proper English" words that you entered will not get flagged.

Allan

Thanks for the help Allan, it works well. I was going to take the easy way and learn to spell the American way. The next thing is to stop my text from wrapping around the photos. Will give that a bit of thought. Thanks John.

John,

Read the thread about posting pictures in the "Forum Based Technical Questions & Tutorials" section.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

Revell Spad X111
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Revell / Monogram-
Jump to: