The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Winnuts Gotha

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Winnuts Gotha   Tue Mar 14 2017, 01:30

These are a few photos taken during the building before the rigging has been added. Still trying to find photos of the finished model. It is the usual 1/32 Wingnuts scale and at the time of building it was at the very limit of my skill. It took four long months and at that time I had full use of my hands and at times I remember my wife saying "am I allowed to talk at the moment." I attempted to rig it with nickel silver wire but gave up after a few days as it had a 72cm wingspan and when you turned it over the distance between wings was tremendous so I gave up and used EZline instead. Went through 3 cans of Tamiya blue at $11 per can so it was a dear model. One disappointment was the mudguards as they were very delicate and I broke them and could not replace them and these were an essential part of a Gotha on take off as stones thrown up from the wheels into the crew created havoc. While doing some reading yesterday about the Gotha came across a story of a British pilot who had the same surname as me

[/url
]
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19623893/39]
e and he shot down two Goths in 1918 while flying a Sopwith Pup. Still searching for the rest of the photos. John.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Sun Mar 26 2017, 08:56

Great looking plane! I always loved the Gothas. I built the 1/48 Aurora kit but never rigged it. I would be afraid to! Lol. I use EZ line, but not enough to get good with it or to actually like it. I actually prefer stretched sprue on many of my projects...

My wife does the same thing when I am concentrating on a model. My dogs are another story...barking and jumping on me at the worst possible times!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:01

Impressive. That must be one big model Smile

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Sun Mar 26 2017, 17:47

At 72cm wingspan it is a monster. Would not attempt one like it again. There were a lot of these sold but very few build reviews and not many of them helpful and only one told it as it was. The rest glossed over the problems. This forum is very good as members share information very freely and are helpful. Wingnuts come with six high quality sets of decals and I made the mistake of rigging some of the control wires before I put some of the decals on the fuselage and was unable to use the rather spectacular snake that went the length of the fuselage. I am trying to recover airfield shots that show the Gotha beside some of the fighters.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Sun Mar 26 2017, 19:15

What was the purpose of the side screens at the rear machine gunner's position?

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Mon Mar 27 2017, 05:07

TomMarkert wrote:
What was the purpose of the side screens at the rear machine gunner's position?

Tom

There were a lot of injuries to the gunners from objects thrown up by the propellers and I read where more damage was done while landing than combat. The missing mud guards were a necessity as stones that were picked up and thrown by the wheels during take off went straight through the side of the fuselage. I read an article some time back regarding crew members in models and the problems of scale. While the scale of the exterior might be right the internal scale is almost always wrong in all models. Interior parts would be so delicate they would be unusable. The pilot of one of the Gothas had a leg removed after a previous flying accident and I had to cut the leg off the pilot to get it to fit in the seat. At least it made my model true to life. He flew one of the Gothas that bombed London.
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Mon Mar 27 2017, 14:54

I really like tis build and the detail. Nice info on the screen guards as well. I'd never seen these before.

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Winnuts Gotha   Mon Mar 27 2017, 17:54

Now that I look at the pictures again, I guess the screens would keep the gunner out of the props as well!

Tom

Winnuts Gotha
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Miscellaneous Kit Manufacturers-
Jump to: