The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Making a Post: Adding to the Spell Checker Dictionary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Making a Post: Adding to the Spell Checker Dictionary   Tue Mar 14 2017, 09:41

Our forum has members from a variety of nations and this leads to different usages of English words and English spellings of those words.  Since the forum is based here in the United States, American English is the basis for the spell checking of words such as tire (tyre), color (colour), and armor (armour).  When our friends from other nations spell these words as they use them, the spell checker "flags" these words with a red squiggly line.  This is definitely most annoying! Sad

To help these friends out, here are some simple steps that I've used quite often that will help alleviate this issue:

1) When you type a word like "tyre" in, you will see the red squiggly line underneath the word.  Place your mouse cursor on the word and click the right mouse button on your mouse or mouse pad.

2) A spell checker sub-menu will appear on your screen.  This time we are not fixing the spelling since you have spelled the word the way you want it spelled.  Instead, go down four choices to "Add to dictionary".  Click on this choice.

3) Your word is now added to the dictionary on your computer.  The next time you type in that word, it should not get flagged.  

As you add more words, there will be less words that the spell checker "flags" as being misspelled.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this on multiple computers yet so I'm not sure if an addition to the dictionary is universally accepted or not.  Also the case of a word may affect the spell checker until you add the word with a different case to the dictionary.  

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Making a Post: Adding to the Spell Checker Dictionary   Tue Mar 14 2017, 11:25

That's for that Allan, it makes life just that little less tyre-some and it works. cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Making a Post: Adding to the Spell Checker Dictionary   Tue Mar 14 2017, 12:03

DCRanger wrote:
That's for that Allan, it makes life just that little less tyre-some and it works. cheers

I'm glad it makes your time here more enjoyable DCRanger.  I know it's a pain in the arse to add words you normally use, but once you add a word, you won't have to do so every time afterwards.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com

Making a Post: Adding to the Spell Checker Dictionary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1