The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Wed Mar 15 2017, 09:18

One area of aviation history that fascinates me is WWI.  With a sizable mix of die-cast and plastic kits of WWI planes by Corgi, Amercom, Oxford, Airfix, SMER, and Eduard in both 72nd and 48th scales, I decided to branch out into a more "impressive" scale: 1/28th scale.  This 1/28th scale Fokker Dr.I by Revell was a pleasure to build. Molded in bright red plastic to make the Red Baron's all red tri-plane, this kit goes together very easily and builds up to a very attractive model.

The only issues I had were the result of buying an opened kit for cheap off ebay. Even though the seller said the kit was complete, in reality some small parts were missing. Half of one machine gun, one wing strut, and the back half of the rotary engine were missing.  So I had to do some creative fabricating and modeling to finish the kit as it should be.

I wanted to build this plane in a different scheme.  I really wanted to build a plane with green streaked camouflage. I used Tamiya acrylics to paint the model. The colors I chose were XF-57 Buff, XF-26 Deep Green, and XF-23 Light Blue. I also used a gloss white acrylic enamel and Testors flat yellow. This is the plane I tried to replicate: Fokker Dr.I 167/17 of Jasta 19.

Building was rather straight forward.  As I mentioned, some parts were missing and I had to use my modeling putty to create the rounded cylinders of the rotary engine and the missing machine gun half.  For the engine, I added repeated applications of putty to each engine cylinder of the front engine.  Once the putty dried, I sanded it to shape and then added another layer of putty.  I repeated these steps until I had the back of the cylinders to the approximate shape and size of the front cylinders.  Then I painted the entire engine Tamiya dark gun metal gray.  

For the missing machine gun half, I used a piece of the model's sprue.  Since the sprue was cylindrical in shape, I sanded off half until it matched the machine gun's other half.  Again, repeated applications of modeling putty, sanded to shape and scribed gave me a decent looking machine gun, especially once painted with my trusty Tamiya gun metal gray.  The missing wing strut was fabricated using several thin pieces of balsa wood glued and sanded to the correct size and shape. Overall these fabricated parts blend in seamlessly with their plastic counterparts and only a real close inspection will reveal the ruse.

The most important part of the build turned out to be the most enjoyable to do and what I am most proud of; the camouflage.  The effect I wanted was a streaked camouflage pattern.  I achieved this by (1) painting a small section of the plane with the XF-26 Dark Green.  (2) While the paint was still wet, I used a wide artists brush and dry brushed the XF-57 Buff onto the green.  This gave me the irregular streaks of different size and coverage I was trying to achieve.  By working with small sections at a time, I was able to get a consistent effect throughout this rather large plane.

A combination of decals and masked hand-painting coupled with some thin wire for the bracing finished off the build.  I added the standing pilot for appearance sake - I did not used the ground crew as I don't really have room for them.  The final product turned out rather nicely.

pmmaker

Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Wed Mar 15 2017, 10:04

Outstanding job, Pmmaker! Perhaps I will do one of those some day.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Wed Mar 15 2017, 11:17

Captain Eddie wrote:
Outstanding job, Pmmaker!  Perhaps I will do one of those some day.

1:28th scale is a nice way to get into modeling these planes Captain. Large pieces, basic engineering, and some interesting markings options make these kits a good place to build WWI planes.

For me, the sheer size is the issue. I've built the Spad XIII and this Dr.I. I've got another Dr. I, a Sopwith Camel, and a Fokker D.VII still waiting to be done. But where will I put them? My display cabinet has both the Spad and this Dr.I on the same shelf and nothing else can fit. On the adjoining shelf, I have 16 1/72nd scale WWI models. So while a larger plane helps alleviate some problems, at the same time it creates a whole new set of other ones.

pmmaker

Last edited by pmmaker on Thu Mar 16 2017, 12:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Wed Mar 15 2017, 14:47

Lovely, the streaking effect is excellent PMM. And the figure really conveys how tiny the Dr.1 was.

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Thu Mar 16 2017, 01:12

Very clever how you did the camo, PMM. It looks terrific. The entire model came out really well.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Thu Mar 16 2017, 02:48

Pmmaker, that is one terrific build. A lot of effort to replace the missing bits but well worth it and I love that camo.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Thu Mar 16 2017, 08:34

Migrant beat me to it, but the size comparison is very dramatic. Great looking build and a great kit save, with the missing parts and all!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Sat Mar 18 2017, 07:11

Thank you for the kind comments everyone. It was a fun project and I'm happy with the results. In my cabinet, this model is paired with a 28th scale Revell Spad XIII and they are impressive just by their large size.

I've got another Dr.1 kit like this one to do. I'm just waiting for inspiration to strike. I'll build it at some point in the future.

pmmaker

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19   Sat Mar 18 2017, 10:56

Great looking build. The paint work is excellent it looks like the Voss die cast on the fuselage and wings. Well done.

Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I 167/17 Jasta 19
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Revell / Monogram-
Jump to: