The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Monogram Panzer IV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Monogram Panzer IV   Thu Mar 16 2017, 02:17

This is a very old kit reissued and is in a not very common scale of 1/32. It is a simple kit that goes together without much trouble. A couple of small problems. Number 1 was the joining of the tracks as the ends were damaged. Finished up using a staple gun on one of them which does not matter as they are hidden by the side plates. The second problem was my fault as I followed the instructions which said to use the box art when building. I glued the glacis plate onto the hull as per the drawing and a few hours later realized it was upside down. Broke it off and re glued without much damage. A nice touch was the choice of side plates, Still have to add crew members which are well molded and a couple of spare tracks. Airbrushed with Tamiya paints with no problems. Just have to get a bit better at the wheels.

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Thu Mar 16 2017, 08:30

Nice work! I always enjoyed Monogram 1/32 models. I have most of the ones I built as a kid. I also picked up some kits and have them in storage. Revell has reissued a few of them, but not all, especially the German vehicles....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Fri Mar 17 2017, 02:02

I need to stop looking at the armor builds as they may have the same effect on me as the ship models did. Smart ass I love the dioramas you do Rumpler (as well as those of other builders here - they add so much to a model). Nice!
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Fri Mar 17 2017, 04:52

Thanks for the remarks Tom and Propwash. I find them easier than aircraft because you can cover your mistakes with a bit of mud. It gives me a break from the aircraft and the dioramas are a change for me but I doubt if I will ever get perfect with them but will just build to my satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 06:56

rumpler wrote:
Thanks for the remarks Tom and Propwash. I find them easier than aircraft because you can cover your mistakes with a bit of mud. It gives me a break from the aircraft and the dioramas are a change for me but I doubt if I will ever get perfect with them but will just build to my satisfaction.

Pretty much sums up the way I view my own builds.  Build to please yourself John.  Unless you plan to compete against other builders or build commissioned pieces, just having fun and building your kits to your satisfaction is the most important thing.

I've never been able to get that "interested" in tanks and military vehicles myself, but I really enjoy seeing models of these vehicles built by talented builders.  When I visit the brick & mortar stores I frequent, I spend a lot of time marveling at all the tank builds those guys create.  Your build here is every bit as good if not even better than many I've seen done - you have nothing to apologize for with this one.  It looks fantastic!  yeah

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:36

Very true. Your Pzkw IV looks great. Monogram made quality kits that appealed to both new and advanced modelers. You did the kit great justice with your build.

The old kits always had the late Shep Paine diorama instructions/pamphlet. His work showed how a simple model could be made a super model with a few easy mods and framing in a diorama. Here is a link to his Monogram B-17 build...

http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/rmx/tip-sheet-b-17.pdf

And the list of all his plane dios at the Revell site....

http://www.revell-monogram.com/community/index.html

The 1/32 M-4 "Screamin Mimi" is listed there too. The reissued the M-3 Lee too. Another great kit!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 09:06

That looks great John; really nicely finished, and like Propwash I also appreciate the diorama setting. Got any more? Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 11:01

I really like this build and the diorama setting. Did you add the armor damage or was that part of the options with the kit? Is it just me or does your tank commander look like the guy from the movie Kellys Heroes. Smile

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 17:46

Kyushu J7W wrote:
I really like this build and the diorama setting.   Did you add the armor damage or was that part of the options with the kit?   Is it just me or does your tank commander look like the guy from the movie Kellys Heroes.  Smile

It came with three side plates one being damaged and the suggestion is with that amount of damage it is for a diorama with the tank in a ditch and the turret knocked off. Another nice touch is two sets of decals, one being a weathered set. Decals are made in Italy and are first class. One obvious mistake I made is the armour plate around the turret as I could not get it to join correctly. Have a look at my post on the Panther and the story of the tank commander. Tom has posted a photo of the commander. Worst mistake was hesitating when I bought it from Hobbylink They had a selection of 1/32 armour and by the time my son ordered the Panzer was the only one not sold out. Average ank kit here locally is about $80 and this was $18 US. Did get 4 Tamiya kits including a Tiger but the ones I missed were perfect for dioramas.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 17:56

Migrant wrote:
That looks great John; really nicely finished, and like Propwash I also appreciate the diorama setting. Got any more? Very Happy

They will come very slowly . I am struggling with some aircraft kits at the same time but I have a lot of ideas for dioramas but it will be slow. Have disposed of any aircraft kits that I have no chance in finishing. The only one of the kits that I hate and  have kept is a Roden. Every Roden kit I have attempted has beaten me so I have to finish one of them.  John.

Last edited by rumpler on Sat Mar 18 2017, 21:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Monogram Panzer IV   Sat Mar 18 2017, 19:07

rumpler wrote:
The only one of the kits that I hate and  have kept is a Roden. Every Roden kit I have attempted has beaten me so I have to finish of them.  John.

Haha, that seems to be a common theme around here Laughing

Monogram Panzer IV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1