The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell Germany vs Revell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Revell Germany vs Revell   Thu Mar 16 2017, 18:07

Is there any reason I would NOT want to buy a Revell Germany product, i.e. a 1:28 scale Fokker Tripe, vs a regular Revell model? Are there instructions in English, for example? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Thu Mar 16 2017, 18:19

Captain Eddie wrote:
Is there any reason I would NOT want to buy a Revell Germany product, i.e. a 1:28 scale Fokker Tripe, vs a regular Revell model?  Are there instructions in English, for example? Thanks.

As long as you know what you're buying, you'll be fine with Revell-Germany. In this case it's obviously the old Revell kit but will have a nice new decal sheet and yes, the instructions will be in English.

Sometimes it's not so obvious what's in the box with Revell-Germany though, as they also re-box kits from Italeri, MPM, Matchbox, ICM, Hasegawa and probably others. Sometimes it's a good thing- their Hasegawa re-boxes are generally much cheaper than the actual Hasegawa kit. But it can be quite a shock to buy a 'new release' Heinkel He-70 and find that it's the old Matchbox kit in a new box.

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Thu Mar 16 2017, 19:04

Thanks, Migrant, I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sat Mar 18 2017, 07:06

Revell-Germany kits are not bad. They have some that they engineered and some are "borrowed" designs. I've gotten and built three. Each one went together well. Instructions were drawings with text in English, French, German, and Spanish.

Based on my own past experiences with these kits, I would not hesitate to buy any Revell-Germany kit.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:25

Nice response, Migrant.

I built many Testors kits as a kid. I thought they were possibly Italeri kits. Interesting how older molds are rebranded and live on.

I figured Revell USA also encompassed the old Monogram molds, especially the old armor kits and large aircraft models like the 1/72 B-52 and 1/48 B-29...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sat Mar 18 2017, 20:44

I was surprised by Migrant's answer to the question (I didn't know they sold re-boxed kits). Based upon my experience, I always felt that the Revell-Germany kits were better than their USA counterparts. I guess I was lucky in the kits I got from them.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sun Mar 19 2017, 06:58

TomMarkert wrote:
Nice response, Migrant.

I built many Testors kits as a kid. I thought they were possibly Italeri kits. Interesting how older molds are rebranded and live on.

I figured Revell USA also encompassed the old Monogram molds, especially the old armor kits and large aircraft models like the 1/72 B-52 and 1/48 B-29...

Tom

True Tom.  Revell acquired Monogram.  The following from Wikipedia:

Revell is the well-known brand name today used by two distinct manufacturers of scale plastic models. The original American Revell eventually merged with Monogram. In 2007, American Revell was purchased by Hobbico. By contrast, European Revell Germany separated from the American company in 2006 until Hobbico purchased it - bringing the two back together again under the same company umbrella.

And from http://www.oldmodelkits.com

In 1986 Odyssey Partners purchased Revell. Monogram was purchased by Odyssey at the same time and mold swapping occurred. Monogram and Revell were still marketed under their respective names, but all production for both companies was done at Monogram’s Morton Grove, IL plant. Hallmark cards purchased both plastic kit lines in 1994. In 1991 Odyssey purchased the Matchbox toolings from Lesney and ex-Matchbox kits were released under both the Revell and Monogram names. The Matchbox name was not used. In 1996 Maquire and Partners bought the Revell and Monogram lines and within a year combined the names to make Revell/Monogram. This naming continued till 1999 when they were again divided. Alpha International purchased the entire line in 2001 and continues to produce the kits under two names. It is expected that mold swapping will continue.

So there is a lot of mold swapping from various manufacturers going on today.  If you want a "pure" Revell USA kit, you have to find the old 1960s and 1970s kits.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sun Mar 19 2017, 07:25

Interesting. I have a few books about model makers like Aurora and Monogram. They are excellent histories of the companies but they don't really get into what happened to the companies in recent history.

Thanks for the more recent history, PM!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sun Mar 19 2017, 07:48

This has been great. I got way more than I asked for! Thanks for all the input, guys!
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sun Mar 19 2017, 08:30

Captain Eddie wrote:
This has been great.  I got way more than I asked for!   Thanks for all the input, guys!

You never know when a simple question or comment can open up the flood gates.

pmmaker

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Revell Germany vs Revell   Sun Mar 19 2017, 17:49

Had a small amount of experience with them and it was good but made a mistake and joined their club and received monthly updates and entered some of the competitions and then for over a year received emails every couple of days from German women asking for money or wanting to sell me something. Enjoyed the updates but got out of it in the end, not worth the trouble. I did learn a few German words.
Back to top Go down

Revell Germany vs Revell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1