The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Fri Mar 17 2017, 10:05

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Roden Wink They make some really interesting subjects, but I always seem to struggle with the builds. Rough plastic, poor engineering and dodgy decals seem to be the norm. This kit was no exception, but in the end I was quite pleased with the result.

Last edited by Migrant on Tue Jul 04 2017, 12:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 00:47

It is magnificent, hard to believe it is a Roden.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 01:31

No kidding Rumpler. I've only built one Roden and that was enough for me. Only Migrant can do something as impressive with something from them. Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 06:45

Another great build there Mike. Looks great and I remember this one on the old forum. The "dirty" aluminum effect is just so Cool Cool ! How you do it consistently is a marvel. Perhaps a tutorial on how you do this effect someday would be welcome (Hint! Hint!)

Our ole buddy Mike (SpectreNav) always used to comment on how much he hated Roden kits and placed quite a few in our old Hall of Shame. I've built one and did not find it a pleasurable experience. I really avoid Roden kits even when the kit represents a subject I am very interested in. I build kits to relax and have fun. The effort Roden kits require and the challenges they present just aren't consistent with my kit building philosophy.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:18

I love the older Cold War prototypes. Very impressive build, especially in 1/144. My weak spot is the cockpit glass melding with the rest of the plane. I can never do it well. So, when I look at a piece of art like this, my eyes go right to that area....and of course yours is perfect!

Old dog trying to learn new tricks...lol

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 08:59

Thanks for the kind comments guys Smile

pmmaker wrote:
I build kits to relax and have fun.  The effort Roden kits require and the challenges they present just aren't consistent with my kit building philosophy.
pmmaker

That is an excellent philosophy PMM, and one which I wholeheartedly embrace Very Happy  I've built one other Roden kit since this, and it was even more of a struggle. (It's for one of the magazines and I'm unfortunately not allowed to post it until it's been published.) But their subjects are so cool; they've recently released a 1/32 Cessna 0-1 Bird Dog. I love that plane...

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 09:49

Migrant wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments guys Smile

pmmaker wrote:
I build kits to relax and have fun.  The effort Roden kits require and the challenges they present just aren't consistent with my kit building philosophy.
pmmaker

That is an excellent philosophy PMM, and one which I wholeheartedly embrace  Very Happy   I've built one other Roden kit since this, and it was even more of a struggle. (It's for one of the magazines and I'm unfortunately not allowed to post it until it's been published.) But their subjects are so cool; they've recently released a 1/32 Cessna 0-1 Bird Dog. I love that plane...
[color=#006600]

And I 100% agree with you here Mike.  But here's my thinking:

1) I know these are hard to do.
2) I know the quality is iffy at best.
3) I know this will probably frustrate me.
4) I know I WANT this plane in my collection.

So with this in mind, do I subject myself to this or not?  If a talented builder, such as yourself, can and is willing to deal with this kit, go for it.  But if you are not capable or willing to deal with the challenges Roden kits offer, it's probably best to stay away.

pmmaker

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar   Sat Mar 18 2017, 10:29

Quote :

But here's my thinking:
1) I know these are hard to do.
2) I know the quality is iffy at best.
3) I know this will probably frustrate me.
4) I know I WANT this plane in my collection.

1st Migrant as always, just a stunning  build, the weathered look is simply outstanding and in such a small scale.  I'm always looking at a museum presentation with one of your builds.  

2nd I agree with all the posts about Roden and especially the one above .  I've built the one Roden and that was my yellow wing flying boat  with 110+ rigging wires the cat assaulted last year.  In the post of the build process you see pictures of a guy in a straight jacket, multiple engine mounting frame rebuilds and references to my bottle of Santas Little Helper ( It was the holidays after all  Smile   All that said when I was finished I really liked the build but knew it would be a while before I attempted another.   You have to really be in the mood for one of these. The dark and cold of winter is a good IMO.   I have a few in my stash.

Roden 1/144 C-119 Boxcar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Miscellaneous Kit Manufacturers-
Jump to: