The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: SkyMax SM8001 USN TBD-1 Devastator, VT-8, Ensign George Gay, Battle of Midway 1942

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: SkyMax SM8001 USN TBD-1 Devastator, VT-8, Ensign George Gay, Battle of Midway 1942   Sat Mar 18 2017, 22:06

SkyMax Flying Heroes SM8001
Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
USN VT-8, George Gay, USS Hornet, Battle of Midway, June 1942
1/72 Scale

The first release by Skymax representing Ensign George Gay's aircraft during the Battle of Midway.

Lieutenant George H. Gay, Jr., USNR, (1917-1994)

Below: Ensign George Gay (right), sole survivor of VT-8's TBD Devastator squadron, in front of his aircraft, 4 June 1942.

George H. Gay, Jr. was born in Waco, Texas, on 8 March 1917. He entered the Navy in 1941. After completing flight training and receiving his commission in September 1941, Ensign Gay was assigned to Torpedo Squadron Eight (VT- 8 ). On 4 June 1942, while operating from USS Hornet (CV- 8 ) during the Battle of Midway, his squadron was wiped out while making an unsupported torpedo attack on the Japanese carrier force. Gay was the only survivor of the thirty pilots and radiomen in that attack. While swimming after his plane went down, he observed the dive bombing attack that destroyed three of the four Japanese carriers present.

Ensign Gay was rescued by a seaplane the following day. After recovering from his injuries, he served in Torpedo Squadron Eleven (VT-11) during the Guadalcanal Campaign, and was later a flight instructor. He was also active making public appearances in support of the war effort. Following the end of World War II, he remained in the Naval Reserve into the 1950s and was a pilot with Trans-World Airlines for thirty years. George Gay died on 21 October 1994.

This model sold out very quickly in Hong Kong and was one of the more difficult to track down.

I have used Hobby Master crew members for the 3-place Devastator (I know it only carried two during Midway).

Overall a nice piece to complete my Midway Collection (Includes my Dragon Warbirds Wildcat, and HM Dauntless and Midway based Avenger).

Dan
Wink

Last edited by ACpilot on Sun Jul 23 2017, 00:40; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: SkyMax SM8001 USN TBD-1 Devastator, VT-8, Ensign George Gay, Battle of Midway 1942   Sat Mar 18 2017, 22:39

Very nice model. Skymax was doing some really great models others were not touching. Thanks for adding the bit of history.

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: SkyMax SM8001 USN TBD-1 Devastator, VT-8, Ensign George Gay, Battle of Midway 1942   Sun Mar 19 2017, 07:45

A plane I always wanted in 1/72! Nice review. I built the Monogram kit in 1/48 in this scheme. This is one I definitely want to acquire.

Tom

REVIEW: SkyMax SM8001 USN TBD-1 Devastator, VT-8, Ensign George Gay, Battle of Midway 1942
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1