The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Favourite Box art?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: Favourite Box art?   Sat Mar 18 2017, 23:41

Whatever we may feel about Roden's kits, their box art is amongst the best out there, IMO.

I like this too, for entirely different reasons:

What's your favourite box art?

Last edited by Migrant on Tue Jul 18 2017, 10:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 05:53

For me and many other UK folks Airfix always comes to mind when box art is mentioned, I even have a book on the subject.

I also have a hankering for this one.

This is one of my favourites that was also available as a print for framing but they don't seem to be available any more.

As it appeared on the box.

As produced as a print and something else that I wish I had bought at the time. (Well worth clicking on "Enlarge this image".
)
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 08:07

I love the Roden box art of the Opel Blitz truck going airborne...not bad for a truck that weighed 5 tons when fully loaded. I would hate to be the guy riding in back...

I always loved the Airfix box art. I have a catalog from the 70's that is filled with the box art of all their plane kits. It was a definite influence on me as a kid, as to what models I grew to like and build...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 08:39

Box art was always something I enjoyed. As a kid, I would cut off the box art and mount them on paper and keep them in a note book. I wasn't introduced to Roy Cross' Airfix artwork until I was in my late teens. Growing up in a small town in Connecticut, Revell was the brand I had unlimited access to.

Some of my favorites were:

Today, some of the new Revell artwork is pretty good too:

Of course, I agree the Roden boxart is pretty good too.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 09:51

pmmaker wrote:

I'd forgotten about this one. I'd love to build an A-20 in that scheme Good stuff

The Airfix covers by Roy Cross always evoke a strong nostalgia amongst Brits, myself included. Very Happy  However I'm also a big fan of Adam Tooby's work on the new Airfix boxes (DCR's post of the Sunderland bombing the U-boat image is one of his).

When I moved to North America I came across a completely different set of Airfix box art:

Last edited by Migrant on Tue Jul 18 2017, 10:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 11:56

Migrant wrote:
pmmaker wrote:

I'd forgotten about this one. I'd love to build an A-20 in that scheme Good stuff

I did buy this one off eBay a couple of years back and did build it Mike. In fact, it is painted in exactly this same scheme. I had it posted on the old forum, but I may have missed bringing it over during the switch. I'll take some new photos and I'll re-post it this week.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Box art?   Sun Mar 19 2017, 15:30

pmmaker wrote:
I did buy this one off eBay a couple of years back and did build it Mike.  In fact, it is painted in exactly this same scheme.  I had it posted on the old forum, but I may have missed bringing it over during the switch.  I'll take some new photos and I'll re-post it this week.

pmmaker

That would be great PMM, I'd love to see it.

Favourite Box art?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1