The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 19:32

Kit: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130

Markings: 2 sets of markings are given - decals to build a U.S.A.A.F. North African desert Havoc or a R.A.F. Boston

The build:  This kit was one of my "Holy Grail" kits that I wanted back when I was a budding kit builder, but I could never find.  Now thanks to the Internet and eBay, I was finally able to get this long sought after model.

The kit goes together really easily and poses no problems in assembly.  All the parts are well numbered and have little to no flash.  I built the kit straight out of the box as per the kit instructions.  Interior detailing is sparse so I added a bit of detailing to the interior spaces including bulkheads fabricated out of plastic card stock and instrument panels and guns.

Painting was done by hand and used Tamiya Dark Green, Dark Earth, and Medium Gray.  The aircraft was painted in a standard R.A.F. scheme and the R.A.F. roundel decals were applied.  Once the decals dried, the U.S. Operation Torch national markings were then applied over the British roundels.  Once these set and dried, the unique spotted U.S.A.A.F. camouflage pattern was hand painted over the existing R.A.F. scheme.  For this I used Tamiya Buff and I hand painted the irregular spotted pattern, including going over the roundels to get as close to the stars as possible while still leaving some of the underlying colors to be visible.  The canopy framing was masked and hand painted.

Overall, a really fun project that got me a plane I long wanted to make and have.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 20:12

That is superb pmm, you've done a great job of a complex-looking scheme. It's hard to tell from your photos; are there are a lot of rivets on the Revell kit?

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 20:26

Mike,

It's a classic 1960s Revell kit. The panel lines are slightly raised and flanked on either side by hundreds of very minuscule rivets. You can sand them off and re scribe the panel lines rather easily. When I build these old 1960s kits, I really try to build them as they were intended to be built back in the day. So all the rivets and panel lines are just as they were molded in.

pmmaker

Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 21:33

Very nice build, I really like your camo work . The A-20 is another overlooked aircraft. Everyone used it on every front. The Japanese even captured a few in the Dutch Indies as they were just delivered .

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 21:49

pmmaker wrote:
Mike,

It's a classic 1960s Revell kit.  The panel lines are slightly raised and flanked on either side by hundreds of very minuscule rivets.  You can sand them off and re scribe the panel lines rather easily.  When I build these old 1960s kits, I really try to build them as they were intended to be built back in the day. So all the rivets and panel lines are just as they were molded in.

pmmaker

Thanks for that pmm, I'm going to look out for a reasonably priced example of the Revell kit.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sun Mar 19 2017, 23:04

That's a very cool build and camo scheme, PMM. I haven't seen one like that before. Very nice. Cool
Back to top Go down
PBRStreetgang

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Mon Mar 20 2017, 04:54

pmmaker wrote:
[color=#006600][size=15]

Painting was done by hand and used Tamiya Dark Green, Dark Earth, and Medium Gray.  The aircraft was painted in a standard R.A.F. scheme and the R.A.F. roundel decals were applied.  Once the decals dried, the U.S. Operation Torch national markings were then applied over the British roundels.  Once these set and dried, the unique spotted U.S.A.A.F. camouflage pattern was hand painted over the existing R.A.F. scheme.  For this I used Tamiya Buff and I hand painted the irregular spotted pattern, including going over the roundels to get as close to the stars as possible while still leaving some of the underlying colors to be visible.  The canopy framing was masked and hand painted.

Beautiful build of one of my favourite wartime aircraft. Really think the early MK A20s had the most interesting diversity of scheme, of pretty much all Allied aircraft of the war. Your lovely build is exhibit A of my view.

The effort involved in the application of the scheme is 10 out of 10, I assume the application of the scheme would have been what was actually done in the field?

Did the kit provide any information on the BS/BG? Curious as to the unit the aircraft belonged?

I am guessing 47th BG, which flew four squadrons of A20Cs. Curious on the story how it started off as a MKIII Boston and ended up a A20C Havoc?? Question
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sat Mar 25 2017, 08:39

Christian

Thank you for the kind words.

To answer your question, I don't know the squadron or group for this scheme. Being an old early 1960s kit, that information was not readily supplied by kit manufacturers back then. I too would love the story behind this plane and its unusual camouflage scheme.

At the time I built it, I did do a superficial search for pictures or a history of this plane, but I found nothing. I'm not really a "researching" type so once the kit was done, I moved on to something else. I'd love to hear more about this plane, but I won't actively research it myself. If someone wants to take on the challenge themselves and share their findings, I'd be grateful

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sat Mar 25 2017, 09:51

Neat plane and a great build! I like the idea of painting it in historical order. It gives the plane a depth that is historically interesting.

Nothing like redoing or finding a kit that you once did or wanted in the past. I always coveted the Monogram big bombers when I was a kid. I built the 1/48 B-29 and numerous medium bombers they produced. The B-36 and B-52 would not come until I reached adulthood.

Again, nice work. Do you make display bases for each model or do you use the same ones for photo purposes?

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:49

I have three bases I made years ago and I reuse them. I'm not a big "diorama display" guy. They look neat, but I absolutely hate making them. And they take up way too much room that I really don't have to spare.

I know what you mean about finding and finally building those old kits you never could get as a kid. I think more than half my purchases and builds over the past seven years that I've done are "nostalgia" based.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Sat Mar 25 2017, 14:23

Oh, same here. Most of my builds are ghosts of my long gone youth, the difference is I can buy and keep them now. The history and technical aspects of the build are a part of it too. I learn something and have enough interest to build a symbol of the real thing.

I have a board, about 2x2 feet with ground cover and ballast that use for military models. I will have to try a couple plane pics on it. It stores away behind the couch...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Wed Mar 29 2017, 19:43

pmmaker wrote:
Kit: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130

Confirmed, 47thBG.

There is actually a couple of photos on the net, this being the best one. The aircraft in the background looks like your splendid effort PMmaker.

Clearly the scheme was applied in the field with very little uniformity. Here is a link with wonderful narrative by one of the pilots with his history with the 47th BG.

http://www.47thbombgroup.org/history.html
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130   Thu Mar 30 2017, 05:33

Christian,

Thank you for finding the image and link.  It's nice to know that a model I've made actually represents a real aircraft painted the way I've built it.  The scheme on this one is unusual to say the least.  If Corgi ever built the early version of the A-20 / Boston, this would be a great scheme to do to get some of the non-UK / Commonwealth collectors excited.

I appreciate your time and effort finding this information.  Thank you.

pmmaker

Revell 1/72 Douglas A-20C Havoc H-115:130
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1