The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA7710 USAAF North American P-51D Mustang, 328th FS, "Cripes A'Mighty"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA7710 USAAF North American P-51D Mustang, 328th FS, "Cripes A'Mighty"   Sun Mar 19 2017, 22:25

February 7, 2011

Hobby Master 1/48 Air Power Series
HA7710 - P-51D Mustang 44-14906 PE-P
328th FS "Cripes A'Mighty"
Major George Preddy

Purchased on a HKG layover.

Major George E. Preddy, Jr. was the leading ace in the European Theater of Operations during World War II. When he was killed on Christmas Day 1944 by Allied ground fire, he was the top P-51 Mustang ace of all time, with 27 aerial and five ground victories

Recently my wife and I had a chance to see the Flying Replica of "Cripes A' Mighty" at the CAF Museum in Mesa, AZ.

One of the members there pointed out that red and white object on the Starboard side is actually a Barber Pole.

This was painted by Preddy's Crew Chief who would perform haircuts for personnel (for a price of 1 shilling and 3 pence).

On the CAF example there is a white "1/3" (with the 1 being larger than the 3) to the right of the Barber Pole indicating the price.

Notice that this is replicated on the Hobby Master version as well.

All photos of the real thing were taken by my lovely wife. (My official airplane museum photographer).

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA7710 USAAF North American P-51D Mustang, 328th FS, "Cripes A'Mighty"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1