The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Mon Mar 20 2017, 01:02

Here goes my foray into model ship building. I chose my first build purely on price and to get an idea as to what a 1/700 scale model might look like. Well sure, I did pick a destroyer, which was probably not a good idea as it is small to begin with, but it will certainly give me an idea for what I am in for should I go down this path.

But first, some history.

Zerstorer (Destroyer) Z-37

Z-37 was a 1936A-Class Destroyer (Narvik Class to the Allies) of which eight were designed and built for the German Kreigsmarine. Its keel was laid in 1940. Construction lasted until its commissioning in July, 1942. It was assigned to the 8th Zerstorer Flotilla in March, 1943, and was based in France.

Z-37's history is brief. In January, 1944, it collided with another Zerstorer (Z-32) and was badly damaged. The collision caused its torpedoes to explode which destroyed its engine rooms. It was towed into port for repairs, but the damage was so extensive it was removed from service. Its main batteries were removed and used as coastal defense guns. It was decommissioned in August, 1944, and was scuttled in the harbor at Bordeaux, France. It was finally scrapped by the French in 1949.

The Trumpeter Kit

Tonight was the unveiling and was time to open the box and see what I had. The box itself, with its terrific box-art and size, lulled me into a sense of complacency. I didn't think 1/700 scale would be all that bad as the box measured just over a foot long.

Then I opened the box. What!?   Shocked scratch

Hmmm, a lot smaller than I thought. But look at the parts!

And then I looked at the hull. All just over seven inches of it.  No

Okay, this will be a little more difficult than first thought. Still excited about it though.  bounce  The kit has good instructions and a color paint diagram.

Unfortunately, Z-37 was sporting a "simple" dazzle-paint camo that isn't shown (except on the box-art). I found that out when researching Z-37's history. I hope to try and use pics of the real ship as an example for my build. Hopefully I can start on this project during the week.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Sat Mar 25 2017, 09:41

Like Mr. Bean said when he unwrapped his Christmas present, which turned out to be an Airfix model kit of the Bismarck....."Lots of parts"...lol.

Many of the parts are repetitive, but not really hard to put together. Just use lots of toothpicks when applying glue!

You can likely find a paint diagram on the net somewhere. The dazzle scheme would be the same no matter what type of ship it was applied to, so don't worry if the example isn't the same ship. I think this may be the pattern you are looking for...

Trumpeter is a pretty good ship model company. Their ships are probably a bit more difficult than Airfix or Tamyia kits. Don't get discouraged. You will do a fine job!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Sun Mar 26 2017, 02:28

Tom, are you a fellow Beanophile? lol! Yes, it was much like that ("lots of parts"), and I did find out that a second tree is a copy of another for additional parts. I took a couple of pics this morning with my phone to show some progress:

I'm learning quite a bit as I go along with this build. You do have to think a bit in advance as so many things need assembly and paint before gluing into place. Also, I am glad to say I found this kit on a professional builders site and he was explaining the build. I got a chuckle when he went on to complain about 1/700 scale being a pain to build owing to the small parts. Ha! I've found the scale is unforgiving in regard to paint too. So even though it is quite difficult, since I am used to larger scales, I am having a great time with it.

Thanks for the camo scheme Tom. That's the one I was thinking about doing, but I may need to be more realistic and go with the easier gray-scheme for now. I would try it in a larger scale, but having now dived into 1/700 I think I will go simple until I get better at it.

I've made a lot more progress through the day so the pics I took are out-of-date a bit now. More to come.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Sun Mar 26 2017, 06:25

As long as you are enjoying yourself, all is good. If you start getting frustrated with the small parts, then you know the scale is too small.

Right now your first ship attempt appears to be going well and looks great.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Sun Mar 26 2017, 07:57

I agree, the build looks fine. Painting can be a challenge for this scale. Just think small! The colors can be a bit maddening. I have a whole drawer full of no less than 20 various US Navy colors. I didn't think there were that many. The camo schemes were numerous and greatly varied.

Btw, I only use my phone camera for my model pictures. If I used a good camera, everyone would be able to see my mistakes...lol.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Mon Mar 27 2017, 00:40

Thank you both for your encouragement. It seems like it is hours of work for so little progress, but the hours go by quickly. Here's what's happened at the shipyard today:

So now I have some questions about finishing the build:

1. Rigging antenna wires - is this somethings that's done on ships of this scale? If the box art is any indication (as there are no diagrams in the instructions), I would have my work cut-out for me and would stand a good chance of breaking something.

2. Do you brush or spray on any gloss or dull coating? Or do you leave it in all it's flat glory?

Please feel free to offer any advice or criticisms for this build. Only way to learn. Very Happy

PS: Tom, I may take up your advice about using a phone camera to document future builds. lol!
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Mon Mar 27 2017, 09:37

Looks great! There should be a main mast. Do a search of destroyer ship rigging, to get an idea of what you may want to do. It is kind of hard to describe. There are also flag lines that would run from the main mast yardarm to the bridge deck. All ships would have these.

Finally, I dull coat all my ships. They dull with exposure to sea water...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Tue Mar 28 2017, 01:15

Thanks for the tips, Tom. I had the mast but left it off until the end (as I did with the large radar antenna) thinking I would break it while painting the hull. I got all that assembled tonight and will think about what, and how much, rigging I may want to do.

I have to get a good way to do windows. I tried using a tiny wire dipped into paint to just touch each window. That didn't do so well, so I painted over everything in the ghost grey of the hull and superstructure. I also had a few gluing incidents (too much on a tiny part - toothpicks didn't help my clumsiness Rolling Eyes ). A tough little monster, but I can see why people enjoy building them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Tue Mar 28 2017, 05:45

Propwash wrote:
I have to get a good way to do windows. I tried using a tiny wire dipped into paint to just touch each window.  

Propwash,

I use a fine tipped Sharpie marker for small windows and details.  Just put the marker tip in the shapes and spin.

Another tool  would be to go to an artist supply store and buy an artist pen with the quill tips and a bottle of ink.  Dip the quill tip into the ink and fill in the windows.

Your build looks great and I concur - ships are fun to build and give us aircraft builders a nice break.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Wed Mar 29 2017, 00:52

I believe I may have one of those stashed away someplace. Thanks for the tip, PMM.

Btw, I attached the hull to the superstructure tonight. I broke-off both props doing so (accidentally put pressure on them while fitting) and had to do a re-glue. Will need to touch-up tomorrow night. Hopefully I can find that pen by then. Wink
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Wed Mar 29 2017, 18:02

I knock parts off my models as I build them, all the time. Usually it is the same part...over and over...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Wed Mar 29 2017, 19:06

That looks great PW. Are you going to leave it as waterline or attach the full hull?

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Fri Mar 31 2017, 01:06

TomMarkert wrote:
I knock parts off my models as I build them, all the time. Usually it is the same part...over and over...

Tom

Yet more we have in common. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Fri Mar 31 2017, 01:08

Migrant wrote:
That looks great PW. Are you going to leave it as waterline or attach the full hull?

Thank you Mike. I went with the full hull as it appeals to me a great deal (and it fits in a nifty PE stand that came with the kit). Wink

Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)   Fri Mar 31 2017, 01:15

I just finished my build and will post some pics in the next day or two. It was an interesting and enjoyable experience. I was happy to read more than one review of Zerstorer builds in this scale by advanced builders. All had lots of complaints about the scale as they were all used to larger (than 1/700) builds. The difficulty in handling and painting the tiny pieces were the greatest source of frustration. I felt so much better reading those! Smart ass I will likely build more, but I will probably stick with the larger stuff as I don't have the dexterity in my hands/fingers that I used to.
Back to top Go down

Trumpeter 1/700: Zerstorer Z-37 (Kit # 05791)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Other Collectibles :: Of the Sea and Ships-
Jump to: