The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HL2016 Canadian Pacific Airlines Canadair C-4-1 "Canadair Four" CF-CPR "Empress of Vancouver" 1949

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HL2016 Canadian Pacific Airlines Canadair C-4-1 "Canadair Four" CF-CPR "Empress of Vancouver" 1949   Mon Mar 20 2017, 18:54

HOBBY MASTER 1/200 AIRLINER SERIES
HL2016
Canadian Pacific Airlines
Canadair C-4-1 "Canadair Four" CF-CPR
"Empress of Vancouver" 1949

October 2012 Release

The Canadair North Star (called the "Canadair Four" by CPA) was a 1940s Canadian development of the Douglas C-54 / DC-4 aircraft. Instead of radial piston engines found on the Douglas design, Canadair employed Rolls-Royce Merlin engines in order to achieve a 35 mph faster cruising speed.

Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) formed Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPA) in 1942. CPA purchased four Canadair Fours to use on it's Pacific routes and accepted its first aircraft in May 1949. With a capacity of only 36 seats they were found to be uneconomical for the Pacific and were replaced by ex Pan Am DC-4s in 1951-52 as interim aircraft until new DC-6Bs arrived.

The model represents aircraft CF-CPR (Empress of Vancouver). This aircraft was written off when it overran the runway during an approach in bad weather at Tokyo on February 9, 1950. There were no fatalities.

Below: Canadian Pacific's Canadair Four CF-CPR.

Here is a summary of errors that were avoided and improvements added during the research for this model:

- The Script of the titles "Canadian Pacific Airlines" (while not perfect), was improved considerably.

- The Script had the red outline added.

- "Canadian Pacific" painted under the starboard wing (seen on the original artwork) would have been an error.

- Fleet Number #402 painted on the nose gear doors (seen on the original artwork) would have been an error.

- The colour between the Cheat line is correctly Silver and not White (I believe this is the first time this has been accomplished for a Canadian Pacific Diecast model).

- "Express of Vancouver" was corrected to "Empress of Vancouver".

- The size of the wing leading edge de-ice boots was corrected and has been separated into separate sections.

- The correct 3-Bladed Props were used.

- The painted silver fabric covered control surfaces were added.

Very happy with the results.

For those interested, the definitive reference on the Canadair North Star would have to be Larry Milberry's book: THE CANADAIR NORTH STAR.

I bought a copy a long time ago for myself and my Father who used to be a RCAF Navigator on North Stars during 1950s and 60s.

CANAV Books

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Hobby Master HL2016 Canadian Pacific Airlines Canadair C-4-1 "Canadair Four" CF-CPR "Empress of Vancouver" 1949
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1