The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HMS Victory

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: HMS Victory   Mon Mar 20 2017, 22:35

I have made a start on this model of the HMS Victory that fought at the Battle of Trafalgar. It is built by the Henley firm for the German Supermarket giant Aldi. Friends of mine would not touch it because they class it as a toy but toy or not I am having a bit of fun with it. Sells for $99 as compared to $1000 for a real kit. Only has 32 guns instead of 105 but on a dark night it might pass for the real thing. It is all wood and the hull is part completed and some of the painting also but they claim it can be finished in about 40 hours. The instructions say to fix the yards to the yard blocks but no one on the web has yet found the blocks in the list of parts. Went back to Aldi who offered me my money back so not much help from them. A lot of exact measurements but not the positioning of the yards on the masts. A lot of challenges but still enjoying it with no pressure attached but it is obvious I am not a ship builder.

b[left][/left
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: HMS Victory   Mon Mar 20 2017, 23:20

Nothing wrong with that model Rumpler. Especially if it provides you with a fun diversion (I could use one of those myself tonight). I'm sure you'll jazz it up a bit to your usual high standards. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: HMS Victory   Tue Mar 21 2017, 01:41

Propwash wrote:
Nothing wrong with that model Rumpler. Especially if it provides you with a fun diversion (I could use one of those myself tonight). I'm sure you'll jazz it up a bit to your usual high standards. Very Happy

Thanks Propwash, it is a whole different ball game building ships. When and if I can finish it my son has one waiting for me to build. Will put a Spanish flag on it and try to do a diorama but that is a long time in the future. Researching a lot about this very different hobby, one trick I have found is to spray the sails with a diluted mixture of white glue and water and then blow the sails out with an electric fan and wait until they set dry. Very impressive result. I will have to practice before I do it on the sails myself.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: HMS Victory   Tue Mar 21 2017, 09:41

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this build. I am intrigued by the billowing-sails trick you mention and hope you include some pics of the effort. Thanks Rumpled.
Back to top Go down

HMS Victory
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1