The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HL6011 RCAF Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304), 437 "Husky" Squadron, 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario, V.I.P. Scheme

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HL6011 RCAF Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304), 437 "Husky" Squadron, 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario, V.I.P. Scheme   Tue Mar 21 2017, 01:26

HOBBY MASTER 1/200 AIRLINER SERIES
HL6011
Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304)
RCAF 15001
437 "Husky" Squadron, 8 Wing, Trenton, Ontario
2013 V.I.P. Paint Scheme​

February 2014 Release
Production Limited 400 Units

Five Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304) were purchased by the RCAF in 1993 from Canadian Airlines (originally delivered to Wardair in 1988) as a replacement for the Boeing CC-137 (B707).

Four of the five aircraft were converted in 1997 to Combi Freighter standard with reinforced floors and a side opening cargo door. The fifth aircraft (15001) was modified as a V.I.P. Transport for Government Executives (such as the Prime Minister, Governor General or members of the Royal Family). All five aircraft wore an overall grey paint scheme until the V.I.P. aircraft, as part of a regularly scheduled maintenance period, underwent heavy maintenance which included getting this new paint scheme. The Government of Canada decided last year to repaint the aircraft with a colour scheme and design that is more reflective of Canada's national identity and more in line with patterns displayed by other countries aircraft in similar roles.​

The attractive red, white and blue paint scheme was designed by RCAF Service Member Jim Belliveau, who has designed several of the attractive CF-18 Hornet Air Show Demonstrator schemes seen over the years. When the scheme was fist revealed to the public the Opposition Parties cried foul that the colours overtly represented the ruling Conservative Party. However one needs only to look at the RCAF Maple Leaf Roundel to see that the colours of the RCAF are Red, White and Blue.

I suggested this model to Hobby Master immediately after the aircraft was revealed to the Public in May of 2013. Research for the scheme had never been done before. There are no decals. However, by using several photographs from National Defence sources and (even some You Tube video footage) a four view drawing was made and this model became possible.

In addition I asked Hobby Master for some modifications and improvements to their A310 tooling for this release. First of all the Nose gear wheels have been reduced in size which helps with the appearance and stance of the model. Next the extra detail of the 3 external VHF antennas on top of the fuselage have been added. Printing improvements have been made to make the passenger windows a bit larger. The A310's characteristic upsweep of the passenger windows at the rear of the fuselage has been improved as well. The cockpit window printing looks better given the grey rather than black colour used for the windows on previous releases. The positioning of the cockpit windows remains the same as this was a limitation of the tooling. The main wheels are still slightly over scale, but this is true with other 1/200 Scale diecast airliner manufacturers and is an engineering limitation in order to have functioning "rolling wheels".

Overall the model is simply Gorgeous! A very attractive (and accurate) paint scheme has been brought to life here. All the details are present - from the maple leaves on the winglets to the ridiculously tiny accents over the french words of the Canadian National Anthem underneath the cockpit windows. Even the lights embedded within the Maple Leaf Roundel on the fuselage are present. The model comes complete with gear down or gear up options and a display stand is included as well.

All the parts fit together well. With the already mentioned improvements, I highly recommend this model to all those Canadian Military and Airliner collectors out there. Only 400 have been made so get one while you can!

Dan
Wink

Last edited by ACpilot on Sat Jul 22 2017, 01:25; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Hobby Master HL6011 RCAF Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304), 437 "Husky" Squadron, 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario, V.I.P. Scheme   Wed Mar 22 2017, 13:52

Beautiful.

REVIEW: Hobby Master HL6011 RCAF Airbus CC-150 Polaris (A310-304), 437 "Husky" Squadron, 8 Wing Trenton, Ontario, V.I.P. Scheme
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1