The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Witty Wings 72-015-008 Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, No.803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Witty Wings 72-015-008 Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, No.803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949   Fri Mar 24 2017, 23:02

Witty Wings/Sky Guardians
WTW-72-015-008
Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 TF996 (BC*F)
No. 803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949
1/72 Scale
Year of Production 2007

Below: Sea Fury TF994 BC*C comes to grief aboard HMCS Magnificent, running into the No.2 Barrier on Aug 16, 1948 less than three months after arriving in Canada.

The Sea Fury was selected by the RCN to replace the Seafire. Eventually 74 aircraft would be purchased in six separate batches. The aircraft modelled by Witty is TF996 which was part of the first batch of 15 delivered to the RCN on May 24th and 25th 1948. This first batch of aircraft were all hoisted onto HMCS Magnificent in the UK which then set sail for Canada on May 25th.

This was the second release of a RCN Sea Fury by Witty and represents an earlier example painted in Pattern No.1 (mainly Extra Dark Sea Gray finish compared to the first release). It features a modified Type C roundel which featured for the first time a blue Maple Leaf superimposed on top of the center red disk. Again this is one of Witty's better toolings and the only real mistake is in the use of the Code letters. The Code "BC" stood for 803 Squadron with individual aircraft having individual letters assigned. Witty got it right on the port side but messed up starboard as can be seen in the photos of the model. With only 3 diecast models existing of RCN aircraft (2 of them Witty Sea Furys) I guess it is a forgivable mistake. All in all a great model and an attractive addition to any Naval or Canadiana collection.

Dan
Wink

Last edited by ACpilot on Thu Jul 13 2017, 16:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Witty Wings 72-015-008 Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, No.803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949   Sun Mar 26 2017, 08:39

Really nice plane and a handsome paint scheme. I love these obscure post war planes. Gotta get one!

In all my years, I never knew the Canadians had an aircraft carrier! This is the first I ever heard of it. I quickly researched it and was astounded about the HMCS Magnificent's history. Nice.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Witty Wings 72-015-008 Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, No.803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949   Sun Mar 26 2017, 16:45

TomMarkert wrote:

In all my years, I never knew the Canadians had an aircraft carrier! This is the first I ever heard of it. I quickly researched it and was astounded about the HMCS Magnificent's history. Nice.

Tom

Yes, HMCS Warrior for a short time prior to HMCS Magnificent.

Then HMCS Bonaventure until 1970. See my thread on the RCN Banshee below.

http://tmacf.forumotion.com/t64-hobby-craft-royal-canadian-navy-f2h-3-banshee-vf-871-hmcs-bonaventure#92

Dan
Wink
Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Witty Wings 72-015-008 Royal Canadian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, No.803 Squadron, HMCS Magnificent 1949
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1