The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 01:29

Gemini Aces GARAF1008
RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX
No.443 (Hornet) Sqn, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944
Limited Edition 600 Pieces Worldwide
1/72 Scale

Another RCAF Spitfire Mk. IX, this time a LF (Low Altitude) version. After the first encounters with the new and superior German Focke Wulf FW-190, the Spitfire IX was modified for better maneuverability at low level by having its' distinctive elliptical wing clipped.

The only fault with this version by Gemini is that the Pilot figure is painted too blue. Someone forgot to paint the head gear a different colour.

An excellent historical summary of RCAF 443 Squadron can be found on the link below:

http://www.mcmanus.ca/02CofC/443history_files/history1.htm

Dan
Wink

Normandy Nemesis -Paintings Volume VI RAF & Commonwealth Edition

When Johnnie Johnson led the Mk IX Spitfires of his 144 Canadian Wing to temporary airstrip B.3 near the village of St Croix sur Mer, a few miles inland from the Normandy beach head, they were making history. As they landed on the hastily constructed Summerfield mesh track­ing runway on D-Day plus 9, they became the first Allied air force unit to be based in former occupied Europe, and the first to operate in France after D-Day. Mk IX Spitfires of 443 Squadron RCAF, based at St Croix sur Mer tangle with a group of Fw190s whom they had encountered on a fighter sweep near Alençon, in southern Normandy on 23 June 1944. During the melée that followed, their Squadron Leader, Wally McLeod, quickly destroyed two Fw190s, whilst another Fw190 was badly damaged.

Two Spitfires of 443 Squadron take off at radio-mast height flying over a control van in Holland. Note the clipped Wing Spitfire nearest the camera.

Below: Seen with Gemini Aces "Buzz" Beurling's elliptical wing Spitfire IX

Last edited by ACpilot on Thu Jul 13 2017, 17:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 07:19

Nice looking plane. I usually stick with early War Spits, but I may have to get one of these!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 08:08

I just love the Gemini Aces models period.  I've got a few and they are safely packed away for safe keeping.  Their Spitfires are just nicely molded with just the right amount of and sized panel lines. This one is no exception - it's just so nicely executed and detailed 

It's a shame this line went extinct.  I could just imagine what they could have done with a Fw-190 done to the same standard as their P-51B, Spitfires, and Bf-109F.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 09:55

Ah, I didn't know they were extinct. I guess they will become a search on eBay for me. afro

Do they have optional landing gear or fixed gear down?

Tom

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:10

TomMarkert wrote:
Ah, I didn't know they were extinct. I guess they will become a search on eBay for me.  afro

Do they have optional landing gear or fixed gear down?

Tom

Optional. See photo above on the stand.

Dan
Wink
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944   Sat Mar 25 2017, 14:45

Oh...duh. Never mind.....Embarassed

REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARAF1008 RCAF Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX, No. 443 (Hornet) Squadron, RAF Croix-sur-Mer, France, 1944
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1