The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sat Mar 25 2017, 07:37

I just started a Hobbyboss 1/72 P-38 yesterday. I was off on a sick day and needed a bit of therapy, so I grabbed a "Easy Assembly" kit off my shelf.

This kit is really nice. It comes with most of the major assemblies, like the fuselage and wings already in single solid pieces. It eliminates a few major stages of similar, normal models, but there are many details and sub-assemblies that keep the kit challenging.

This fit of the parts is almost perfect. The wings are one assembly where the landing gear and cockpit make up the bulk of the building. The fuselage is one piece but requires adding the tail fins and intakes after the two assemblies are joined.

The one trait of these simpler models is the location of the injector marks from the mounding process. This plane has them on top of the wings and along the sides of the fuselage. Kind of out of the way, but obvious if you forget to sand them down. You can see them as white spots in the above photo.

Anyway, I am at the painting stage now. I am brush painting this plane. I will be fitting a pilot, which isn't included, and masking out the cockpit canopy. More pics soon!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sat Mar 25 2017, 08:03

Nice of you to do this one Tom - I've wanted to get it, but wasn't totally sure.

I've got their Bf-109E being done in a desert sand/spinach scheme that's been sitting there for months. May get back to it after my current project is done.

I like these partially built Hobby Boss kits. I think I'll need to add another sub-forum if we decide to start buying and building these in any numbers. They are pretty detailed, they go together rather easily and nicely, and they are very affordable - sounds like a home run to me!

What color scheme are you going with for this one? And is the nose weighted down any to avoid "butt" sitting?

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:07

I am doing the version with the OD anti glare panels and the red trim. It is from the 431st FS of the 475th FG of the 5th AF...

The instructions call for weights in the engine cowls, which works, but I could only fit so many in there. I put the plane together and temporarily mounted the props and tanks. It sat on all three wheels. After painting and adding a few details, it tips back on the tail now. Go figure.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:44

Sometimes it depends on the orientation of the model on the table or workbench. Mine has a slight slope to the back. If I put a "tail-sitter" facing towards the back of my bench, it will sit on its nose gear. If I have the model facing me, it will tail sit. I have the same problem with my cabinets - the cost of owning a 1880s house. The only thing that's level is the driveway. Smart ass

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sun Mar 26 2017, 10:13

Well, it remains a tail sitter...just barely.

Anyhow, here is the finished project. I brush painted the model with acrylic paints. The decals were excellent and there were a lot of them for such a small plane. They nested right in using Walthers decal set.
It is a simple kit but high potential when in the hands of a really good modeler.

I was going to give the plane a wash with black but held off. I may do it yet, but looking at photos of the prototypes, the panel lines were not very evident.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:04

Very nice result Tom, and looks like a straightforward build. I've built a couple of Bf 109s from this series and I like them a lot.

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:18

Thanks. They are excellent kits. I took my time with this one but still fubar'd parts of the assembly, mainly when painting it. My hands are a bit rusty lately...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sun Apr 02 2017, 08:49

I did a little line filling after letting this plane sit on my shelf for a couple days. It looked flat with out weathering. I attempted a fine wash with acrylic flat black with fair/okay results. It is a process I want to work on mastering...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Sun Apr 02 2017, 16:53

Nice build. The brush work looks great.

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38   Tue Apr 04 2017, 08:31

Thanks, K. Far from what I am looking to achieve, but a good start on learning!

Tom

Hobby Boss 1/72 P-38
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1