The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

American Cup Racer by Lindberg

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Mar 25 2017, 08:22

Started my first sailing ship model in close to 35 years.  I built a few back in my teens, but I've never gone back to them in my adult years.  I do have a love of lighthouses and wind driven sailing ships though, so going back to these was just something I had to do.

This is an old kit by Lindberg.  It represents a "fat" body racing yacht that sailed in the America to Bermuda "America's Cup" sailing race.

I've start building this model.  It is DEFINITELY a different experience than building small plane models.  The hull itself is 17 inches long and the main mast sits at a two foot height.  The hull is painted a pretty surf blue over an espresso brown with white trim.  It looks really attractive in person.  Now I'm at the painting and adding all the main deck parts stage.  I'm also putting the masts together after they've been painted a brown / white scheme.

This build will take me quite a while to do as it will have full sails and rigging. But when I'm done, it should be quite an impressive model to display.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Mar 25 2017, 09:27

It looks great already! It will be a gem once you rig it with lines and sails. Nice, meticulous work.

I like your lighthouse painting too. What medium is it done in? I used to do many lighthouses, and other subjects in watercolors while I was in art school for a couple years. I will have to dig them out and show them to you.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Mar 25 2017, 10:40

Thanks Tom.

The model is coming along nicely, albeit rather slowly.  I have a picture in my head of what I want it to look like when I'm done.  Right now I'm pretty much on point with my goal.  Only time will tell if I'm personally successful.

The painting is acrylic painted on a decorative wood plaque.  The  rock pier is done by gluing slate chips over the painted surface.  85% of my paintings are done using acrylic paints.  Of the remaining 15%, 10% are watercolor and the remain 5% are done using oils.  I'm a self-taught, self-talented artist.

I would love for you to share your work!  Like other's models, I admire artwork done by talented artists too.

pmmaker

Last edited by pmmaker on Sun Mar 26 2017, 07:55; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 02:15

That's a really attractive color scheme you made for your racer (that would be considered a sloop would it not?).
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 06:32

Propwash wrote:
That's a really attractive color scheme you made for your racer (that would be considered a sloop would it not?).

Thank you. Not really sure what constitutes a sloop from a schooner from a yacht. I've not gone that far into learning the differences between sailing ship classifications. I hope to get to Mystic Seaport in southern Connecticut this summer. The gift shop has a great book store with a fantastic variety of books on the subject. Hopefully I can find some fun-to-read books on sailing ships there.

Meanwhile, I'll continue plugging along with this one.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 08:20

Wow, I didn't realize it was a multi medium artwork. I thought the rocks were actually painted! The sky work is very dramatic too! Very good work!

I went to art school (as well as being from a long line of artists) and did a bit of commercial artwork when I first started out on the railroad, to help pay the bills. Later on, I did mostly pen and ink work with washes. I was doing mostly trucks and railroad subjects when commissioned by customers. 99% of my stuff is in storage. I have done some digital art but nothing much lately...

Here is an ink wash I did of a 1952 Maxim pumper I owned and restored...

And this is a drawing I did and then painted it digitally...just experimenting...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 09:11

Beautiful artwork Tom! I love pen & ink as a drawing medium - it's a lot of fun and allows for some detailed images and intricate line work. I've done planes, ships, and birds with pen & ink and it works great for detailed work.

I think we should start a thread whose sole purpose is to showcase members' artwork.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 10:16

That would be cool. I have relevant material that would fit better there, instead of hijacking your ship build thread! Sorry about that!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sun Mar 26 2017, 17:08

Propwash wrote:

In answer to Propwash’s comment, I did a bit of Wikipedia research to find the differences between a sloop, a schooner, and a sailing yacht.

Sloop: A sloop is a sailing boat with a single mast and a fore-and-aft rig. A sloop has only one head-sail: if a vessel has two or more head-sails, the term 'cutter' is used, and its mast may be set further aft than on a sloop.

The most common rig of modern sailboats is the Bermuda-rigged sloop. Typically, a modern sloop carries a mainsail on a boom aft of the mast, with a single loose-footed head-sail forward of the mast.
Sloops are either masthead-rigged or fractional-rigged. On a masthead-rigged sloop, the forestay (on which the headsail is carried) attaches at the top of the mast. The mainsail may be smaller than the headsail, which is then called a genoa jib.

On a fractional-rigged sloop, the forestay attaches to the mast at a point below the top, typically 3/4 of the way to top, or perhaps 7/8 or some other fraction. The mast of a fractional-rigged sloop may be placed farther forward; compared to a masthead-rigged sloop, this results in a rather smaller jib relative to the size of the mainsail.

Schooner: A schooner is a type of sailing vessel with fore-and-aft sails on two or more masts, the foremast being shorter than the main and no taller than the mizzen if there is one. While the schooner was originally gaff-rigged, modern schooners typically carry a Bermuda rig.

Such vessels were first used by the Dutch in the 16th or 17th century. They were further developed in North America from the early 18th century, and came into extensive use in New England. The most common type, with two masts, were popular in trades requiring speed and windward ability, such as slaving, privateering, blockade running, and offshore fishing. In the Chesapeake Bay area several distinctive schooner types evolved, including the Baltimore clipper, bugeye, and pungy.  Schooners were also popular among pirates in the West Indies during the Golden Age of Piracy, for their speed and agility. They could also sail in shallow waters, and while being considerably smaller than other ships of the time period (such as frigates and galleons), they could still hold enough cannons to intimidate merchant vessels into submission.

Schooners were popular on both sides of the Atlantic in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, long dominating yacht races such as the America's Cup, but gradually gave way in Europe to the cutter.

Sailing yacht: A sailing yacht (US ship prefix SY or S/Y) is a leisure craft that uses sails as its primary means of propulsion. Sailing yachts are actively used in sport and are a category of classes recognized by the International Sailing Federation.

The length overall of sailing yachts ranges from 6 meters (20 ft) to over 70 meters (230 ft), with a majority measuring about 10 meters (33 ft); The cost of building and keeping a yacht rises quickly as length increases. In the United States, sailors tend to refer to smaller yachts as sailboats, while referring to the general sport of sailing as yachting. Within the limited context of sailboat racing, a yacht is any sailing vessel taking part in a race, regardless of size.

Modern yachts have efficient sail-plans like the Bermuda rig, which together with an appendage providing lateral resistance allow them to sail toward the wind.

Based on these definitions and pictures, my kit is of a schooner type vessel.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Mon Mar 27 2017, 00:28

Thanks for the great explanation (and pics!) of what constitutes a sloop and a schooner. Much appreciated (look how much more we are learning on the new forum Very Happy ). I know what a schooner of beer is at least. Smart ass
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Mon Mar 27 2017, 05:23

That yacht is magnificent, the range of hidden talents that are surfacing is unreal.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Apr 01 2017, 16:48

Was able to get in the porch today and get a bit of work done.  I'm 90% done with the main deck work.  I've got a half-dozen parts painted and drying to glue on.  I've got to rig the anchors with thread.

The masts are pretty much done and I've dry fitted them.  My wife cut the sails out for me and I've spray painted them an almond tan color.  Once they dry, I can begin to glue the gib poles to the masts and start attaching the sails. Rigging will be the final step and will be quite a job to get done right. I'm sure the effort will be worth it. 

Another week or two and this one will hopefully be done.

Some pictures to document my progress:

pmmaker

Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Apr 01 2017, 17:07

It is looking great, Pmmaker. I am not a big ship guy, but am enjoying watching progress on your build.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Apr 01 2017, 20:40

Your build is progressing nicely. I noticed in the pics that the boat's wheel was facing toward the stern. Since I know next to nothing about how these are supposed to work, do you have any idea why? Is it a racing thing or does it serve a more practical purpose? scratch
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: American Cup Racer by Lindberg   Sat Apr 01 2017, 20:56

Propwash wrote:
Your build is progressing nicely. I noticed in the pics that the boat's wheel was facing toward the stern. Since I know next to nothing about how these are supposed to work, do you have any idea why? Is it a racing thing or does it serve a more practical purpose? scratch

I simply don't know why. It's where the instructions show where to mount it. The brass part in front of the wheel is the navigational compass. The one doing the sailing would stand to either side of the wheel and steer that way. Lots of things I don't understand about these ships - I just know they look graceful and I like painting and building kits of them.

pmmaker

American Cup Racer by Lindberg
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next