The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4206 USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc "Green Hornet", 675th BS, New Guinea, 1944

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4206 USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc "Green Hornet", 675th BS, New Guinea, 1944    Sun Mar 26 2017, 00:17

Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
HA4206
USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc
43-9407 "Green Hornet", 675 BS, 417 BG
New Guinea, 1944
Production Limited 600 Pieces

May 2014 Release

In March 1943 the 417th Bombardment Group (Light) was constituted and activated. The Group trained on the Douglas A-20 Havoc in December 1943 and January 1944 before shipping out to the South Pacific and was assigned to the 5th Air Force. In March 1944 the Group began supporting ground forces on New Guinea. Missions included striking at enemy troops, supply depots, airfields and shipping. From September 1944 (until they relocated in the Philippines in December) they carried out these operations from Saidor, New Guinea against other islands in the chain.

Douglas A-20G Havoc 43-9407 was named “Green Hornet” and was assigned to the 675th Bomber Squadron (BS) in New Guinea during 1944/45. The aircraft was piloted by Lt. J Pryor which crash landed and was written off in 1945.

This is sixth A-20 produced by Hobby Master and the first one joining my collection. I particulary like the colourful "Green Hornet" nose art on this release.

Although the exhaust pots are provided (seen attached to the two included sprue trees) they are not required for this release, as this A-20 is a -25 model (lack of exhaust pots can be seen on photo below).

The paint quality was good on my copy and all the parts fit together well with no quality control issues to report.

Overall a fine representation of the Havoc and one I can heartily recommend.

Looking forward the tooling being modified one day to enable a future RCAF Boston III.

Dan
Wink

Last edited by ACpilot on Wed Jul 19 2017, 21:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4206 USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc "Green Hornet", 675th BS, New Guinea, 1944    Sun Mar 26 2017, 06:19

Attractive model Dan. This is one I would definitely have paid good money for if HM had just made sooner than they did. About two years before this one was released, I purchased a 1/72nd scale Matchbox kit of this very plane. So buying this die-cast model would have been redundant.

HM did do a nice job with the color scheme. My only question is whether the bright green is too bright green?

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4206 USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc "Green Hornet", 675th BS, New Guinea, 1944    Sun Mar 26 2017, 08:08

I just looked at this on EBay yesterday. It is available from HongKong at the moment.

I too was halted by the bright green camo paint. Made me go "hmmm". It is a sharp plane though. I have been hoping for a plain metal version in US colors, but this may end up in my "stacks" anyway...

Tom

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA4206 USAAF Douglas A-20G Havoc "Green Hornet", 675th BS, New Guinea, 1944
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1