The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape   Sat Apr 01 2017, 07:34

Recently went to my local hobby shop and picked up a pretty nifty and helpful product: thin width pre-cut masking tape.  While a bit pricey - I paid about $10.00 for mine, it will save me hours of work so I feel it is worth the initial cost.

The package includes 3 twenty foot rolls of tape and comes in 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" widths.  The tape is thin enough to conform to curved model surfaces and it can be placed to create curved lines.

I bought the tape to create "boot" waterline stripes on my ship models, but it can also be used to mask wing leading edges, canopy frames, and thin walkway lines on aircraft models.  

To mask these I simply paint the base color, let it dry, and then use the appropriate sized tape to mask off the line.  Once the tape is placed over the color that needs to remain, I over paint.  The tape is low tack, but it adheres tightly enough not to allow any paint bleed through.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape   Sat Apr 01 2017, 08:06

Nice. I will try the Testors tape. I have the red Tamyia tape and it doesn't seem to work well for me. I have used blue tape, which works well, but tends to pull up base coat paint.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape   Sat Apr 01 2017, 09:24

Tom,

If you look at the pictures of my America Cup Racer sailing ship, the white boot line was done with this tape and the method I described above. I was able to reuse the tape to separate the blue hull color and the white railing. Both long pieces of tape I used are still tacky so I set them aside and I'll reuse them again. At 12 bucks a package, I want to use the tape wisely.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape   Sat Apr 29 2017, 07:21

Nice. I noticed the other day, I already have the same tape pack you pictured. I bought it, put in a box with some spray paint and totally forgot about it! I am going to use it on my current Tracker build...

Tom

Modeling Product: Testors Masking Tape
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1