The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Trumpter P47-N

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 00:56

Recovered some photos of a Trumpter P47-N in 1/32 scale that I made up some years ago. Wish I had it now to do full justice to the kit but I see where they are about $150 now so I will give it a miss. Most of it went together easily and it was highly detailed. Had a bit of trouble joining the fuselage and had to trim a few parts of the turbo to get it together. I have read that the canopy is not right for this model and the propeller is also not correct for this model but I do not worry much about these types of things.
In history I feel the Thunderbolt a bit forgotten and overshadowed by the P51. They inflicted heavy losses against the Japanese in the Pacific and if you do some research on the net there is a lot of interesting stories.  One such story told of a Thunderbolt that had lost some power and dived down to ground level pursued by 25 Zeros. Two were on his tail and the rest strung out in a line behind them.  He jumped over a low hill and came head on with a Betty taking off and the wash from his sudden swerve caused the two Zeros to collide with each other and take the Betty head on. I am going to do some more research on the P47's and in the distant future might look for a smaller scale and after seeing what Migrant can do with Alclad I might have a go with that.

Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 06:54

I don't know John - that model looks pretty darn good to me. If Corgi offered it in die-cast metal, you'd have quite a few die-cast collectors paying a lot of money for it, especially in 32nd scale.

The aluminum finish was realistically done and the markings are excellent. Nothing to be sorry for on this one.

I concur with your opinion regarding the propeller and the canopy. Some guys out there are solely focused on finding ANY fault. It is as if they feel that finding obscure errors proves to the world and themselves that they are better than everyone else. Personally, unless the model is glaringly wrong, like you, I'm not too concerned.

If you want to build a P-47 that is smaller then 32nd scale, there are quite a few nice models in 48th scale out there. I built a Hawk kit years ago that was a fun build. My preference is 72nd scale which is probably too small for you with your hand issues, but I'm sure there are some nice 48th scale kits you could get your hands on.

I really like the P-47, especially the razorback versions.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 07:54

Beautiful build and nice setting too.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 08:44

That is indeed a very nice, large scale P-47 John, you've really done it justice. I can't see any fault with the prop or canopy personally, although I admit I'm no expert on the aircraft. I do prefer the bubble top to the razorback version, though. I like your use of figures to tell the story too, and give it a sense of scale, it was obviously a very large plane for a single-engined fighter.

If you're looking to build one in a smaller scale, look no further than the Tamiya kit in 72 or 48, they are absolutely beautiful kits. Available in either version, and you can pick them up for very reasonable prices.

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 17:04

I like this build, you certainly did well IMO. The diorama setting is great. I always thought the N series P-47's were unique for the long range Pacific missions.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 18:31

I would certainly be happy to have a model like this in my collection. Another beautiful build Rumpler. And I wish I could make a diorama like you, PMM, and others on the forum. It adds so much to the model.

Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 19:29

Kyushu J7W wrote:
I like this build, you certainly did well IMO.   The diorama setting is great.   I always thought the N series P-47's were unique for the long range Pacific missions.    

That's right Ken, they were designed for the Pacific but the early production ones were sent to England but it was late in the war and they did not get much action and were mainly used as a fighter - bomber.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Trumpter P47-N   Sun Apr 02 2017, 19:39

Thanks every one for the remarks. The paint was Bare Metal using a Tamiya rattle can. One mistake I made and I am not the only one was to forget the stripes underneath the wings. Do not leave them to the end of the build.
Back to top Go down

Trumpter P47-N
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Miscellaneous Kit Manufacturers-
Jump to: