The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My woeful tale of model building...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: My woeful tale of model building...   Tue Apr 04 2017, 09:26

Well, Sunday, I sat down to do some model building. I had a bug to build some sort of jet model, so I grabbed a kit off my shelf and headed to the kitchen. It was a A-Model Sukhoi T-49, a simple experimental fighter that was never used in service. Being a typical A-Model, it was over designed with many tiny parts for every detail on the fuselage and everywhere else for that matter and crappy instructions leaving one with no clue as to where all these stupid parts go.

It took me 45 minutes to assemble the cockpit assembly. I trudged on. The next step was the fuselage assembly. No pins, a nose section which fit inside and the most horrible fit of any fuselage halves I have ever encountered. After another hour of shaving, sanding and fitting, I got the assembly together. At this point, I lost interest in the project.

Not wanting to quit for the morning, I went back down stairs and grabbed what I thought was a winner of a kit. It was an eBay buy USAirfix kit of a US Navy Skyray with bagged parts. Okay! I sat down and did a test fit of the robin-egg blue fuselage halves...perfect! This was gonna be a sweet build. I went to look at the canopy and windshield and discovered the sealed bag was missing the windshield. After a futile search of the kit box and bags, the AWOL windshield was nowhere to be found. @&$!?#€%!!!

Okay, back down stairs. I found a Turkish, yes, Turkish, kit of another Soviet fighter. I started this kit and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the plastic moldings, fit and ease of assembly. I was saved.

I am at the painting stage of this model and I will unveil it soon...stay tuned!

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Tue Apr 04 2017, 15:12

I feel your pain Tom. No I have a couple of Ebay kits like that which are missing key pieces. I believe my one and only Amodel kit was my first entry into the old forum's Hall of Shame.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Tue Apr 04 2017, 18:31

We all have days (and kits) like this.  What is one to do but persevere and and carry on.

I don't have too many "dog" kits that are just awful.  I learned my lessons years ago not to go for the more obscure kit manufacturers.  I tend to stick to manufacturers that I pretty much know and planes that are more mainstream.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Tue Apr 04 2017, 22:40

I think we've all had days like that. When things like that start happening, I just pack up and do something else – if I force it, it makes things worse. Unfortunately it often happens when I'm really in the mood for building and want to get something done, which is frustrating.

Yes, what can you say about A-Model? I've built one of their kits, and it was for an online 24-hour build, so it was doubly challenging. Somehow I managed to finish it, but it's not exactly competition standard Mad But, they do have some cool, obscure subjects.

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Wed Apr 05 2017, 08:36

A-Model does make a Tupoleve Bear bomber in 1/72 which I really, really want, but the only place I found one was on Amazon for around $300!!!! Trumpeter makes new versions which I have, but I wish they made the earlier Tu-95m as a kit.

I have built a few A-Models in the past and really didn't enjoy them. The model I am building now is a "Pioneer2" kit made in Turkey and imported by Squadron years ago. The plastic is really nice and the model fit is near perfect. It is a Sukhoi SU-21. I built the same model from A-Model and it was not a really enjoyable.

Here is the Tupolev on Amazon, in case any of you want to buy it for me...lol

https://www.amazon.com/Tupolev-Tu-95M-design-bureau-Amodel/dp/B011AVI0AO/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1491395131&sr=8-39&keywords=A+model+

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Wed Apr 05 2017, 13:29

TomMarkert wrote:

Here is the Tupolev on Amazon, in case any of you want to buy it for me...lol

I'm all over that Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 08 2017, 18:21

I've purchased on ebay only to find the seller who had a 99% good rating had re-bagged the clear parts when he posted pictures and the turret glass was missing on the 1/72 Emily. This was not easily visible looking at the on line photos. I felt he had to have know the kit was incomplete but it was a few months before I actually opened it and discovered the issue. I contacted Hasegawa and they did send me a clear parts sprue so if anyone has this happen on an Emily build let me know as I might have a spare.

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 08 2017, 19:23

Cool. I didn't think the Emily was still made, but it is always worth a shot. I had similar happenings, buying now and finding out parts are missing down the road.

Revell Monogram have a site to replace parts for a number of kits. It is somewhat limited, but I did get some missing B-29 and B-36 windows from them a couple years ago...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sun Apr 09 2017, 20:10

Okay Tom, what did you do to me? I was happily buzzing along on a weekend project building a 1/72 Revell Mig-21 F-13 (which I didn't want, but that's another story). All was going well, for the most part, until I came to assembling the right main landing gear. It wasn't there. The only thing on the sprue was a small section of it as it wasn't cast correctly. I just emailed Revell and it will be at least a month before I know if they can even help me. Sad So I have a two-wheeled Mig with one wing on blocks. So much for this project.

So I went back to my Northrop N-3PB model. This project came to a halt when the vac-formed canopy shattered while I was trimming it (I hate those things! Evil or Very Mad ). Nope, still no saving it so the model goes back on the shelf. I did find a contact form online so I emailed the company (now Special Hobby) and asked if I can obtain a replacement.

Just got a used CW F-14, at an amazing price, and found it is missing the nose probe and stand. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. It would have been nice to know this in advance before purchasing though.

And the last bit, I've really gotten interested in WWI dreadnought models and had my eye on one on Ebay. All week, mine was the ONLY bid. I even doubled-it the night before the auction ended. So what happened? A DB sniper got it in the last seconds. frustrated fighting I curse him and hope that important parts are dropped and lost in his carpeting as he builds it.

So that's what's happened to me the last few days. I'm sure reading your post in this thread transferred some of your luck to me.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sun Apr 09 2017, 20:28

I thought I had it bad! Sorry to hear about that. As for the missing part on your Mig, use this site. They have pretty good turnaround time...

http://www.revell.com/support/parts-request.php

If it is still in production, which it is, the parts come fairly quick. Just fill out the form and send it...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sun Apr 09 2017, 22:35

Thanks Tom, that is the address I used to request a new part. It said to expect a 4-6 week turnaround. Hopefully it won't be that long. Suspect Wink
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Mon Apr 10 2017, 05:46

Thanks for the online address, Tom! I recently purchased a Fokker Dr I, had a missing joystick, so I just ordered myself one.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Mon Apr 10 2017, 18:37

TomMarkert wrote:
I thought I had it bad! Sorry to hear about that. As for the missing part on your Mig, use this site. They have pretty good turnaround time...

http://www.revell.com/support/parts-request.php

If it is still in production, which it is, the parts come fairly quick. Just fill out the form and send it...

Tom

Got a response from Revell this morning. My part needs to come from Germany (really? Suspect ) so 4-6 weeks for that. Oh, and it isn't coming directly to me. It will go to Revell USA first, sit for an undetermined length of time, then be sent on to me. Rolling Eyes Great.

Well, on to another build. geek
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Tue Apr 11 2017, 07:59

Lots of woe expressed here gents.

My latest project had a problem too.  As I was painting the masts on my sailing schooner, I realized that the top half of one of them was missing.  I looked at the instructions for the part number and then looked on the sprue.  I found where the piece was supposed to be, but unfortunately, it had unattached itself.  I looked everywhere in the bags, box top, box bottom, even in the flaps.  I then started moving boxes and objects in the work area thinking the part might have fallen out.  All to no avail.  scratch

Luckily for me, the missing part was rather easy to replicate with some sprue and a bit of sanding.  Turned out okay and saved an overall nice model. Still, it was extra work I hadn't counted on having to do.  Sad

Missing parts are a part of the kit building hobby.  It's a good thing it rarely happens on a new, un-opened kit.  But as we buy more and more second hand kits off eBay and at estate sales, missing parts are all too often becoming a normal occurrence we have to deal with. And sadly, we will be faced more and more with having to abandon or delay builds due to missing parts.

pmmaker

Last edited by pmmaker on Wed Apr 12 2017, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Wed Apr 12 2017, 00:08

Er, welcome to the club? Wink

I'm glad you were able to recover, PMM. Looking forward to seeing your model's completion.

Back to top Go down

My woeful tale of model building...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next