The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My woeful tale of model building...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Wed Apr 12 2017, 20:21

Thankfully, you could replicate the missing part. I guess we could build or kitbash a missing part like a landing gear strut or flap if we really had to.

We walk a dangerous and unpredictable road, we old and obsolete kit builders Shocked

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Wed Apr 12 2017, 23:58

TomMarkert wrote:
We walk a dangerous and unpredictable road, we old and obsolete kit builders Shocked

Tom

Profound and accurate words my friend.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 15 2017, 10:29

Propwash wrote:
Er, welcome to the club? Wink

I'm glad you were able to recover, PMM. Looking forward to seeing your model's completion.  

Yes, but more problems ensued! frustrated

As I was rigging the model, I accidentally snagged the bowsprit and snapped it in half.  Since it had rigging lines already attached, I tried to glue it back together.  Unfortunately the tension on the rigging lines made this virtually impossible to do.  The only recourse I had was to cut all the rigging lines, glue the bowsprit pieces back together, let them dry a couple of days, and re-rig the lines, sails, and bracing.  All that work set me back days!  Sad

I'm back on track now, but I won't be building more sailing ships for a while.  Planes are definitely a whole lot easier to do!  HappyHappy

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 15 2017, 15:30

Another save. "The part an individual keeps knocking off as they build their model" scenario seems to be brewing here. Let's be careful out there!

After all this sharing of tales of woe, I have to admit that I was mistaken about the Airfix Skyray kit. For some reason, I was thinking it had a two piece canopy. There was only one clear part in the kit. Well, thought wrong. It is a one piece canopy and the clear part is there after all. The kit is viable now Embarassed

Sooooo.....it will be my next build after I finish the F-5. I am actually tinkering with the A-Model "Suck-hoi" kit again, making some headway while waiting for F-5 parts to dry...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 15 2017, 15:41

Yes being careful is a good suggestion.  The problem is the ship is huge and I have to move it around to get to all the places where rigging lines and sail attachment points go.  I've got four lines to do and then she's done! real happy

Glad to hear about your Airfix Skyray.  I just got a Tamiya Skyray (thanks to Migrant's generosity) that I want to start once this sailing ship is done.

Maybe we can do our own "mini" group build.  I built the Airfix kit years ago and remember it as being a rather fun one to put together.  Not sure about the Tamiya one - a quick look didn't show anything out of the ordinary.  I'm willing to document my build while I work on it.  Let me know what you think. Serious Thinkin

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: My woeful tale of model building...   Sat Apr 15 2017, 20:40

I have the Tamyia Skyray kit as well. I am guessing the Tamyia kit will have a better fit when assembling the kit, if their tank models are any indication.

The big, intricate models are a challenge to move around and display. It will demand a dedicated space to display it in. Too bad you can't hang ships from the ceiling...lol.

A Skyray group build would be great. I am toying with the Sukhoi kit and have a Mig-19 to build in the meantime....

Tom

My woeful tale of model building...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2