The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Airfield Section A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Airfield Section A   Wed Apr 05 2017, 20:55

I have recovered some photos I thought were lost forever. It is a collection of models on an airfield and this section of the forum is about the only one it can be posted on. It is a mixture of Fokkers, Gothas, Camels and a Pfalz. There are a few photos and will divide it up into two sections. The Wingnuts Pfalz is not perfect but it is my favourite, it was an early attempt at a Wingnuts kit and I was at the limit of my ability.
The Camel belonged in the hall of Shame. The idea was to have three Camels attacking at different heights but in the end only one survived plus a couple of boxes of broken parts. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and inserted a reversed nipple from a spare bike spoke then screwed the spoke into it and fed the spoke down through a tree. It did a good job I thought. These dioramas stay in place for a year and I built three 1/32 Spitfires and the idea was to turn it into a WW2 airfield at the end of the year but in the end the table was used as a massive WW1 battlefield. Not happy.

Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Thu Apr 06 2017, 00:36

Really wonderful. I especially like the first shot with the Shibley tents and the plane being taken away on the truck. Smile

Where and how do you manage to store all your diorama's Rumpler? scratch Do you have them like many train enthusiasts where you fold them against a wall when not on display (or use pulleys to hang them in the garage)?
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Thu Apr 06 2017, 02:06

Propwash wrote:
Really wonderful. I especially like the first shot with the Shibley tents and the plane being taken away on the truck. Smile

Where and how do you manage to store all your diorama's Rumpler? scratch  Do you have them like many train enthusiasts where you fold them against a wall when not on display (or use pulleys to hang them in the garage)?

Thanks Propwash, I recycle most of my dioramas. I have used one of them over twenty times. Anything I do I plan ahead and most of them have been WW1 battlefields. After I use it a couple of times I just cover it with flour or sand or anything I can lay my hands on. Keep a bag of flour in the fridge ,75 cents a kg from the supermarket, and you can make a winter scene or a bucket of sand from the garden shop will do for a tank scene rather than buy from a hobby shop. Apart from his day job my son is the curator of a school museum and his toy soldier club have built a few vey large dioramas in the museum. I built 6 aircraft for it and I was to help with a Battle of Britain display but this gave way to a massive WW1 diorama and a massive Australian Light Horse display. There was a government grant for some of and there was about $10,000 worth of toy soldiers used in the display. Doubt if photos are suitable for this forum but am working on a tank scene but very slow.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Fri Apr 07 2017, 00:20

I find all that information you shared to be quite interesting. Thanks Rumpler. Do you think you can ever post some pics of the dioramas your and your son have worked on?

I think that one of the best aspects of this forum has been to find out more of the talents and interesting lives of members. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Sat Apr 08 2017, 18:05

I would love to see more photos of this set up. What scale are these ?

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Sat Apr 08 2017, 22:36

Kyushu J7W wrote:
I would love to see more photos of this set up.    What scale are these ?

Hi Ken, the Camel is a 1/32 Academy, the Fokkers are 1/28,the three Wingnuts are 1/32 and the die casts are 1/30 although the 1/30 is open to argument. The die casts are all King & Country as King & Country is a big supporter of the display. I am still trying to find the old photos especially my Se5a. When my PC went down I lost several hundred photos which was my own fault. The camera I was using only takes SD cards not the later SDHC which are the only ones available here. I had wiped the SD cards and reused them which was a mistake.
Back to top Go down
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Airfield Section A   Mon Apr 10 2017, 20:54

Beautiful work

Airfield Section A
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1