The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon   Thu Apr 06 2017, 11:15

Here is a kit I found pleasantly well designed and executed by a Turkish model company called "Pioneer2". The kit was apparently imported by Squadron at some point. It is an old kit, I would guess maybe 10 years at least.

The plastic parts were very fine and well molded. The directions were very basic and the decals very simple, limited to the red stars and plane numbers. They took one treatment with Krylon clear coat and they worked perfect.

No pilot figures in the kit, so I used modern HM guys. The plane was painted with Tamyia Bare Metal spray and details were brush painted.

There were no gaps in any of the seams, but there are a couple small dimples I missed filling.

I did some seam painting on the recessed panel lines. I am still working on trying to get getting better with this technique. It does add to the finished look of the plane.

Here are some photos...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon   Thu Apr 06 2017, 19:29

I like that a lot Tom, those Tamiya spray-cans work really well, especially the silvers. It's a chunky looking aircraft, like many Russian planes of that era. I just finished a PM kit recently (Lippisch p.13) and although it was basic detail-wise, it was a fairly straightforward build.

Nice job on the panel highlighting.

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon   Fri Apr 07 2017, 00:07

I've seen this kit on Ebay a couple of times but passed as I didn't know anything about the brand / quality. Thanks for the pics and review as I will need to snag one now. Smile
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon   Fri Apr 07 2017, 09:19

Thank you, guys.

My panel line work isn't too neat yet. I have to work on which paint types I use. It was plain Tamyia spray paint and I tried using acrylic based paint for the wash. I will use the gloss coat and oil based wash on my next project. It ended up looking a bit weathered.

I highly recommend this kit. It needs a small amount of clean up, but it was really a pleasure to build. The box says "recommended for 9 years or older" so it is exactly my speed...lol. Not a ton of detail, especially in the cockpit, that you can hardly see in anyway and shallow wheel wells, but more than enough for me.

Tom

Pioneer2 Sukhoi SU-21G Flagon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1